We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hrs in Nashville

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Topic
12 hrs in Nashville

I'm flying into Nashville at 7:30 am on a Tuesday in November, picking up a rental car and driving about an hour south of the city for a 2 hr meeting then driving back up to Nashville. Plan on being back in town early afternoon. I need to drop the rental car back off about 8:30 pm for a 10pm flight home. So, what do you recommend to fill 8 hrs of free time? I am traveling alone as a 35 yo female. I'm not afraid to eat alone or tour solo. TIA!

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Music City Rollin' Jamboree Tours
City Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Joyride Nashville
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Party Porch Nashville
City Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
Gray Line Tours
Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Sightseeing Tours
6 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 hrs in Nashville

What do you like to do? Live music? Museums? Art? Outdoors? Let us know your interests and we can make some recommendations!

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 hrs in Nashville

If you're looking for the most common "Nashville Top 10" things, then head for the tourism zone downtown centered along Broadway between 5th and 1st Ave. That's where you'll find the honky tonks, Country Music Hall of Fame, George Jones and Johnny Cash museums, etc.

For something else, we'll need to know your interests? Live music, comedy tours, history, Civil War, foodie, art, golf, shopping, hiking, scenic drives?

ETA: cross-post

Edited: 07 November 2017, 20:18
Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
The George Jones
The George Jones
681 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 hrs in Nashville

I love good food, history, art and anything unique to the area. Live music is probably out since I only have a short period of time.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 hrs in Nashville

Live music definitely is not out! The bars and honky tonks on Broadway (main tourist zone mentioned by Monkey) churn out free live music from around 10am until the wee morning hours. You can find a sound that suits you, grab a drink at the bar and enjoy some tunes. Many of these establishments have typical bar food as well.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 hrs in Nashville

Thats awesome!

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 hrs in Nashville

You could probably work in a tour of The Ryman Auditorium. It's the mother church of country music and the most famous home of The Grand Ole Opry. The Ryman + honky tonks will easily fill up an afternoon. If you get tired of the tonks, check out any of the several museums like the Country Music Hall of Fame (plan on minimum 2 hours, probably more), Johnny Cash Museum, and the George Jones Museum. There are also the free TN State Museum and the TN State Military Museum. Those are located close to the Capitol which is also open for tours and has some unique features such as being the only State Capitol building with a US President buried on its grounds and also the only one with people buried inside it (the chief architect and chief builder).

Mentioned in this post
Ryman Auditorium
Ryman Auditorium
10,160 Reviews
Nashville, TN
Grand Ole Opry
Grand Ole Opry
10,260 Reviews
Nashville, TN
The Johnny Cash Museum
The Johnny Cash Museum
5,092 Reviews