We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Social Responsibility for Tourists visiting- School Donation

Nelson, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
143 reviews
Social Responsibility for Tourists visiting- School Donation

Hi all

I have had the pleasure of some travel and understand the footprint that tourism brings to communities- often local residents can no longer afford rent as owners decide to rent at high prices to tourists

The beautiful town of San Pancho has experienced significant influence from tourists and we can choose to be socially responsible and find ways to give back for the footprint our visits affect local culture.

I choose to find schools in communities I am visiting to bring donations

The Montessori school in San Pancho does incredible educational foundations for preschool to grade 6

There website is below

http://www.escueladelmundomontessori.org

Contact them and Angie will be happy to give you a list of items that they can use.

Unfortunately there was 2 thefts that have occurred (one on Jan 1, 2018 and another just recently)

Stolen laptops and the TV used for administration and teachers support were stolen.

There are many that have the ability to bring IT equipment from their business that may have needed refreshing or there could be tablets in th home that you can donate.

Art supplies, offfice supplies etc

Donate for the food program even (they provide lunch to the 50 children attending)

I think it’s a global responsibility to support education, and children are every communities future. There are many airlines that even allow for checked luggage if you are bringing donations for schools (check out with your airline)

We are so fortunate to enjoy the backyard of San Pancho it is so lovely and the people so gracious.

It is sad when teachers can not afford the rent and must move away.

And we as travellers can be socially responsible by finding ways to give back beyond the tourist $$ that we spend in communities around the world.

I am very impressed with the community spirit and advocacy in San Pancho- I look forward to seeing how this town continues to adapt to its growth.

The children are everyone’s future.

Education is the foundation of strong and successful communities

Sharing is Caring.

2 replies to this topic
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
408 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Social Responsibility for Tourists visiting- School Donation

What an excellent post! As visitors to this beautiful country, we might not always be aware of all of the impact on local economies. (Generally think of it as positive!) This was a great wakeup call..than you for this advice.

Nelson, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
143 reviews
2. Re: Social Responsibility for Tourists visiting- School Donation

The communities we have the pleasure of traveling to will appreciate the extension of your compassion and kindness to give back for the experience of them sharing their beautiful land and culture.

Reply to: Social Responsibility for Tourists visiting- School Donation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Francisco
More San Francisco Topics