I'm considering taking a bus from Knock to Dublin on July 14, 2011 in order to catch a plane at Dublin Airport at 18:30. The reason we'd be in Knock is that, if we follow the route I'm currently considering, we'd have returned our rental car to the Knock Airport on July 13.
The Bus Eireann website shows a bus leaving at 8:08 from Main Street in Knock, and arriving at the airport in Dublin at 12:10. My flight is at 18:30, so this seems reasonable.
But perhaps a better option would be for us to drop the car in Knock on July 13, then get to Roscommon and overnight there. From Roscommon, we could catch the bus (the same bus that first passes through Knock) at 9:35 to arrive at Dublin Airport at 12:10. In addition, we'd also have the option of taking the train at either 6:30 or 8:38 to arrive at Dublin Heuston about 2 hours later.
It doesn't look like there's much public transport from Knock to Roscommon, however. I think we'd have to either take a taxi unless we can get the bus from Knock Airport at 13:40 that arrives in Roscommon at 14:47.
Any advice on:
1. How reliable the bus and/or train service is?
2. How likely the bus and/or train schedules are to change between now and July?
3. Which transport option is likely more pleasant/visually interesting? (I'm particularly curious if the bus has a toilet on board, or if it makes station stops where one is available.)
4. Which town would be more interesting to stay and walk about in for an afternoon/evening?
5. How much a taxi might be between Knock and Roscommon if we can't make the bus?
Thanks for any advice!