We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Knock (or Roscommon?) to Dublin

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Bus from Knock (or Roscommon?) to Dublin

I'm considering taking a bus from Knock to Dublin on July 14, 2011 in order to catch a plane at Dublin Airport at 18:30. The reason we'd be in Knock is that, if we follow the route I'm currently considering, we'd have returned our rental car to the Knock Airport on July 13.

The Bus Eireann website shows a bus leaving at 8:08 from Main Street in Knock, and arriving at the airport in Dublin at 12:10. My flight is at 18:30, so this seems reasonable.

But perhaps a better option would be for us to drop the car in Knock on July 13, then get to Roscommon and overnight there. From Roscommon, we could catch the bus (the same bus that first passes through Knock) at 9:35 to arrive at Dublin Airport at 12:10. In addition, we'd also have the option of taking the train at either 6:30 or 8:38 to arrive at Dublin Heuston about 2 hours later.

It doesn't look like there's much public transport from Knock to Roscommon, however. I think we'd have to either take a taxi unless we can get the bus from Knock Airport at 13:40 that arrives in Roscommon at 14:47.

Any advice on:

1. How reliable the bus and/or train service is?

2. How likely the bus and/or train schedules are to change between now and July?

3. Which transport option is likely more pleasant/visually interesting? (I'm particularly curious if the bus has a toilet on board, or if it makes station stops where one is available.)

4. Which town would be more interesting to stay and walk about in for an afternoon/evening?

5. How much a taxi might be between Knock and Roscommon if we can't make the bus?

Thanks for any advice!

7 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Knock (or Roscommon?) to Dublin

I just found the list of estimated taxi hire prices on the Knock Airport website, and also saw that the train line from Westport to Dublin that includes Roscommon also includes Claremorris and Ballyhaunis, so those would be another option for us to take a taxi to from Knock airport.

The list of taxi prices shows me that Claremorris would be a lot cheaper to travel to by taxi than Roscommon. While there's no information on a price to Ballyhaunis, googlemaps shows that it's 25 km from the airport vs. Claremorris at 35km, so I'd think it'd be slightly cheaper to take a cab to Ballyhaunis than to Claremorris.

Looking at the two towns on the County Mayo website (http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/Mayo/Towns/), Ballyhaunis looks like it might be a bit more fun to spend an evening in, but it's hard to say.

Any advice on whether either of these towns is a better option than Knock or Roscommon for a night?

Edited: 06 March 2011, 05:57
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Knock (or Roscommon?) to Dublin

The bus that you will be getting (21) seems to terminate in Athlone Bus/Train Station, and then you transfer to a more frequent service, to continue your trip to Dublin. (Athone would be a bus hub).

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1278083998-52.pdf

If you are still considering staying in Mayo for your last night Ballina would be a good option. You would have the option of taking the train as well as the bus and it's about the same distance as Claremorris from Knock Airport! It's a pretty town! I would prefer Claremorris over Ballyhaunis but Ballina would be my number 1 option!

http://www.ballinalive.com/

t's a few years since I have taken the bus to Ballina (we usually drive there) but there used to be a short pit -stop in Longford. I think this service has now changed as I can't find an up todate timetable!

There are toilets onboard Expressway Coaches.The journey is pleasant enough passing through all the little towns and villages. To get the best out of the journey it is fun to get the front seat!

The train is usually reliable however sometimes sections of track are closed off for works (usually at weekends) or if you are unlucky to be taking it if a strike occurs, extra buses will be put on for passengers. This is highly unlikely to happen whilst you are here but if it does you won't have to worry about transport!

I recall the last time I travelled to Ballina by train an announcement was made at Claremorris Station that trains were terminating there and buses were laid on for passengers to Ballina & Westport!

I still think it would be better to stay in Dublin on the last night and avoid any hassle on the last day :-)

Edited: 06 March 2011, 10:36
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Knock (or Roscommon?) to Dublin

Personally I would be tempted to stay in Westport overnight and take the train to Dublin from there but whichever option you choose these are the timetables for Bus's serving Knock Airport and it would be a good option to time the return of your car to fit one of these.

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1299257552-440.pdf

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1276875417-21.pdf

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1266419677-64.pdf

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Knock (or Roscommon?) to Dublin

Thanks to both of you for the information on logistics and your thoughts on staying in the different towns.

Suzy, I'm like you - normally I like to stay in the city or town from which I'll catch my flight the next day. Because my flight is fairly late (630pm) on July 14th, however, I'm playing with this idea of returning to Dublin the day of.

But I should look at whether we should just shift the entire itinerary back by a day, so that we get the car in Dublin on July 3rd (the day after we arrive from the States), possibly overnight in Glendalough, then drive to the Burren area and do our two days there followed by a few days each in Connemara and Sligo before dropping the car in Knock on July 12th and timing it to catch the bus to Dublin the same day.

Then we'd have the 13th and most of the 14th in Dublin before heading to the airport around 3pm.

I know I could drive the car back to Dublin from Sligo (our most likely penultimate destination) but I like the idea of saving the money on the rental and the fuel, and just not having to drive (I'm a competent driver but don't particularly enjoy it, and feel like I see more of the scenery when I don't have to drive).

Tony, those bus schedules are great; definitely, no matter how it plays out, if we do the drop off at Knock Airport, I'll time it so that I can take a bus instead of a cab.

Thanks again to both of you.

Ari

essex
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Knock (or Roscommon?) to Dublin

Can you not return your hire car to Dublin airport as most companies give you the option to return the vehicle to another airport? It would be less complicated than working out alternative routes.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Knock (or Roscommon?) to Dublin

Which car rental company are you using? Check if they have an extra charge for returning at a destination (Knock Airport) other than the one where you start out from. (Dublin Airport, in your case?).

The nearest town to Knock Airport is Charlestown, just over 5 miles away. Bus Eireann services (Ballina to Dublin Route #22) from Charlestown to Dublin can be seen here:

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1233309217-22.pdf

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,649 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Knock (or Roscommon?) to Dublin

Hi AriSeattle

Check to see if you can drop the car back to Sligo Airport - there is an AVIS office there, not sure who you have rented from. You could then get the bus from Sligo or the train, or even fly from Sligo Airport to Dublin.

Would you reconsider driving from Sligo? The drive from Sligo to Dublin Airport is very straightforward and generally doesn't take me any more than about 3 Hours. It's quite scenic too especially the section between Sligo and Boyle and again the section from Carrick-on-Shannon to Longford.

Reply to: Bus from Knock (or Roscommon?) to Dublin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Knock