We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for planning

Connecticut, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for planning

Dia daoibh a chairde, I’ll be spending two weeks in Inis Oírr this July, and have a few questions that will help me plan for the stay. The TripAdvisor reviews I’ve seen had some great suggestions for places to eat and things to do. So far, I’ve learned that you can walk or bike to just about anything, you should pack raingear and plan on temperatures between 50-70F, 10-120C, and of course, the local native language is Irish (why I’m going there – to improve my Irish!) Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

How does one do laundry?

Is there cell phone signal? Is there one carrier with more reliable signal than others?

Where can one find public wifi?

Several web sites mention that there is a full-time doctor and nurse on the island. Is there a pharmacy?

One website mentioned that there is no ATM. Is that still true? Do most restaurants, pubs, etc. take credit cards or should I bring extra cash?

Go raibh maith agaibh!

14 replies to this topic
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Questions for planning

Hi Cecillia, we've just returned and we stayed at Tigh Ruari (Rory's B&B) which is one of the island's pubs. I would thoroughly recommend it as a place to stay and will be writing my TA review in the next day or so. It may answer one or two of your questions to know that they do take credit cards, although we didn't know that in advance and took plenty of cash, and there is reliable wifi in the rooms. Tigh Ruari is less than 5 minutes' walk from the pier on arrival on the island. Can't answer you about doctors, but the Guinness will cure most things....

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,787 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Questions for planning

hopefully MJandPJ your post will help future travelers but the OP took their trip last year.....

Connecticut, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Questions for planning

Thanks/GRMMA MJandPJ! I loved staying at Tigh Uí Chatháin, but was concerned that whenever I go back, the rooms might already be taken. Good to know that Tigh Ruarí also has a good B&B and that their wifi has improved.

Connecticut, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Questions for planning

Realized that I should mention a couple of other things related to shopping. I couldn't find herbal tea or decongestant, so it's a good idea to bring your own. Didn't think I'd want herbal tea when regular Irish tea is so good, but had to go off caffeine for a few days. Was also looking for small cans of ginger ale, and only able to get the expensive ones in the pub at Tigh Ruarí. It's possible that the supermarket in Kilronan on Inis Mór had these things. Most people on the island do periodic big shopping in Galway or somewhere else, and depend on the local store for fresh meat, veggies, fruit, etc.

Reply to: Questions for planning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted