We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for planning

Connecticut, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for planning

Dia daoibh a chairde, I’ll be spending two weeks in Inis Oírr this July, and have a few questions that will help me plan for the stay. The TripAdvisor reviews I’ve seen had some great suggestions for places to eat and things to do. So far, I’ve learned that you can walk or bike to just about anything, you should pack raingear and plan on temperatures between 50-70F, 10-120C, and of course, the local native language is Irish (why I’m going there – to improve my Irish!) Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

How does one do laundry?

Is there cell phone signal? Is there one carrier with more reliable signal than others?

Where can one find public wifi?

Several web sites mention that there is a full-time doctor and nurse on the island. Is there a pharmacy?

One website mentioned that there is no ATM. Is that still true? Do most restaurants, pubs, etc. take credit cards or should I bring extra cash?

Go raibh maith agaibh!

14 replies to this topic
Galway Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, Clare Island, The Burren, County Roscommon, Galway
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for planning

Padraig Poil is a wealth of information for anyone visiting the island and he is also a true Irish gentleman. Any of the islanders will point out his house - he might not be able to tell you about WIFI and Hotspots but a few hours in his company, you will learn so much.

I can't recall any pharmacy at all. Yes you can walk to any part of the island and this is the way to go.

I'd highly recommend doing an inter-island jaunt via Doolin Ferries. Inis Mór is well worth a day trip.

doolinferries.com/index.php/…

I wouldn't worry about WIFI or cell phones and the like - this island works at its own pace - just go with the flow.

Connecticut, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for planning

Thank you, Damian120! My course includes time for trips to the other two islands, and I'm very much looking forward to that. I recently saw Padraic Poil on TG4's Bliain in Inis Oírr, and it would be awesome to meet him in person! After reading your comment on cell service and wifi, I'm picturing people wandering around hunched over their phones and missing *everything* :-) Actually just hoping to check in with home once in a while, and US cell phones don't work in Europe in most cases. If it isn't worth picking up a cheap text/phone with prepaid minutes I won't bother.

Galway Ireland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for planning

Cecilia D,

I have some time off so I'm flying over to Inis Meáin on Friday. Weather looks great at the minute. Really going to walk the longer of the three walking trails.

Padraic Poil is the man to meet and anyone will give you pointers. He's very affable and friendly. A visit to his house usually includes some fresh brown bread and tea. LOL

United States
Level Contributor
1 post
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for planning

A great place for WIFI is Teach An Tae, a great tea and sandwich house which is just up the road from Inis Oirr Hotel and Tigh Ruairi :)

Newry, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for planning

I plan to visit Inisheer on the 30th June and I am staying for three nights, is there a ferry service during the day to the other two islands as I want to visit them as well, if there is what times do they go? Can you just call to Padrick's house, does he speak English? What kind of think can I do on the Island day and night!!

Galway Ireland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions for planning

Doolin Ferries do the inter-island trips:

doolinferries.com/index.php/…

Dublin
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions for planning

I know I'm a bit late to answer this for you. but for anyone else with the same questions:

There are pubic washing machines in the building beside the campsite.

Three is the best signal as there is a mast on the island. I'm Meteor and can get a decent signal when down in the village usually.

Public wifi is available in the Ostan and in Neds. There is wifi in Ruairis but it's crap.

There is a primary care centre but no pharmacy.

There is no ATM. The two pubs and the hotel take cards and will give cashback on debit cards too. Gift shops and coffee shops generally take them too but some places are cash only.

I'm not an islander. I go there for 2 weeks every year is all. Much as I'd love to go for more. But if you've any more questions ping me and I'll do my best to answer them.

Connecticut, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions for planning

EireCailin2000 and Macros42, thank you both! I'm late getting back to this thread as well. Everything is as you both describe. Here's what I can add.

If you're going to a course (FEICIM, Craiceann, etc.) or event at Áras Éanna, the cultural center, they also have wifi.

Some of the lodgings have wifi and/or laundry for guests, so it's worth asking about.

A couple of other things -

Renting a bike is definitely worthwhile. Even though the island is small, it can take a while to walk everywhere. It's hilly and there isn't always a direct road to your destination. Bike rental from Rothaí Inis Oírr was very reasonable, I loved the bike, and they have one of the best maps of the island.

I didn't get to meet Padraig Poil, but in response to vanoeeeeeeeeeeman1's question, adults and school age children are bilingual. Island people are very friendly and willing to speak either Irish or English, or switch in mid-conversation when necessary.

Overall, I had a wonderful time and would love to go back! I took the Irish language course with FEICIM, stayed at Tigh Uí Chatháin (Super B&B east of the airport, clean, quiet, delicious breakfast, and Catherine is the greatest!), heard excellent traditional music (and sometimes classic American rock :-) in all 3 pubs, and visited cliffs, both medieval churches, the other 2 islands, and the beach.

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions for planning

Hi, is there a grocery shop on the Island?

Connecticut, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions for planning

Yes. It's attached to the same building as Óstán Inis Oírr. It's small but well-stocked and has fresh baked goods and a deli. The people working there are friendly and very patient with daltaí na Gaeilge :-)

Reply to: Questions for planning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted