We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Parking or Driving?

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Parking or Driving?

If someone wants to visit the Aran Islands does the ferry take passengers and vehicles? or is it passengers only? If so, is there a secure place to leave a rental vehicle and your belongings on the mainland while you visit, whether it be for a day trip or overnite? I could not find the answer to this anywhere in guidebooks or on past forum posts. I hope this is not a silly or already answered question! Thanks in advance for your response.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Parking or Driving?

You don't mention where you're leaving from - Doolin or Rossaveal?

The short answer is "no" for the vehicle. In theory you can arrange to have a car shipped on the larger boats out of Co. Galway but that would be something for a local to have done for having a car on the island; these are not drive-on/drive-off ferries, and most rental contracts prohibit taking the car to an island anyway.

I haven't taken the Rossaveal boat in several years. Hopefully someone with recent experience will chime in, but the way it used to work was you pay a couple euro a day for the car park and I believe it was guarded at night.

In Doolin you just park on the pier lot or along the road.

I would not leave anything visible in a car at either place, nor would I leave anything of particular value in the vehicle even out of sight - better safe than sorry...

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Parking or Driving?

Hi, If you're staying in Doolin, you may want to leave the car at your B&B, & walk down to the pier.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,828 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Parking or Driving?

I had the same questions when I was researching my upcoming trip to Ireland. I know I found the information about the ferry car park in one of the many guidebooks I read, but here's a link to the FAQ for Aran Island Ferries, so you can see for yourself: http://www.aranislandferries.com/faq.php

The FAQs don't mention the parking fee, but if you send them an email, I'm sure they will be happy to let you know. I had several contacts with their staff and they were all so helpful.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Parking or Driving?

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure where we would take the ferry from but I couldn't picture us dragging around our suitcases on one of the islands because we were worried about theft. Probably our best bet is to stay in the area and leave our luggage at a B & B. Thanks again!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Parking or Driving?

There is a pay car park at Rossaveal, although it's not an area affected by crime very much at all I don't think I'd be leaving all my luggage etc there over night, just because I'd be worried about it!

Maldives
Level Contributor
141 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Parking or Driving?

Hey all,

I was just reading that you can't take the car to the islands. Considering that, what is the best way to see the islands (thinking about visiting Inis Mor)? Renting a bike? I was reading also something about renting a pony? Can someone give me some info about the prices for these rentals?

Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Parking or Driving?

Options:

Pony Cart hire.

Bicycle

Mini-Van Tour

Walking on your own.

No option to "rent your own pony" that I know of. When you get off the boat you'll be greeted by a small mob (lol) of people offering their services for transportation. It can actually be off putting to some to be approached by 10 or more people touting different options as you make your way down the pier but everyone is polite and takes "no thanks" for an answer if you're not interested.

I can't recall the price for a pony cart trip, I want to say I paid €35 or so for two but that was a couple years ago. But someone just posted the other day that it was €60, so not sure.

Maldives
Level Contributor
141 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry Parking or Driving?

Thanks Irish Fan :) How hilly are the islands? Do you have to be Lance Armstrong, or is iz suitable for "normal" people with average fitness level?

dublin
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry Parking or Driving?

be careful of parking charges, there is a large sign that says ferry parking, this company charges you 5 euro per day and collecst it when you return, use the free car park that is located behind ferry port 500 mtrs further up the road.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry Parking or Driving?

Hi Nara77, Inis Mor is fairly hilly but nothing that should bother you too much! The low road from Kilronan to Dun Aengus is flatter then the main road, just turn off the main road to the right at Joe Watty's.

Get answers to your questions about Aran Islands