We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better, Aran Islands or Skellig Michael

Austin, Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
Which is better, Aran Islands or Skellig Michael

I hate to have to choose between two obviously wonderful choices, but time constraints dictate one or the other. For those who have seen both, which would you recommend - a day on Skellig Michael or a day on Inishmore?

14 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,127 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better, Aran Islands or Skellig Michael

It's like asking us to choose a favourite child!Skellig would edge it for me, but it's far more weather dependent and you'd need to book well ahead.

By the way, I'd go for one of the other Arans. Inis Mór can get very busy, depending on the time of year.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better, Aran Islands or Skellig Michael

There are a whole lot more options than the Skelligs or Arans.

Skellig Michael. forget it this year you are not going to get a ticket without fighting off Star Wars groupies. If you do you need to pray the weather is right and have a strong bladder.

Inis Mor is the only Aran Isle lots of tourist know about, the largest one of 3 islands, personally I prefer Inis Oirr.

Then it depends on your whole itinerary and why you have decided to narrow the islands off Ireland down to the big two on the tourist register?

Edited: 24 July 2017, 23:22
Florida
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better, Aran Islands or Skellig Michael

I like the fort and cliffs from Inishmore and that little cafe before the climb. Clare Island is beautiful as well.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better, Aran Islands or Skellig Michael

any of the Aran Islands are definitely worth the time and they all have a place to buy food, gifts, etc...not to mention they have toilets :-)

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,582 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better, Aran Islands or Skellig Michael

Skellig is big breath-taking uninhabited rock whereas the Aran Islands are living communities where the Irish language is the daily vernacular. It depends on what you want. I have spent time on some of the other offshore islands. Some are unremarkable other than they are islands

Austin, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better, Aran Islands or Skellig Michael

Thanks for the tip!

Austin, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is better, Aran Islands or Skellig Michael

This being my first time to visit Ireland, I'm not aware of all the options. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions off the beaten path!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,768 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is better, Aran Islands or Skellig Michael

How about the Blaskets? Not quite as difficult to get to as skellig Michael but also uninhabited, .boats go out from Ventry and Dunquin.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is better, Aran Islands or Skellig Michael

There are islands all round Ireland so it depends where your itinerary is taking you. Just between Cork and Dingle. https:/…81033484 and if you want a slightly detailed list with a whole lot of options see if you can get a copy of Oiléain (a gide to Irish Islands) by David Walsh.

Easier to probably just tell us where you are going to be.. (and possibly when? Islands can be seasonal)

Austin, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is better, Aran Islands or Skellig Michael

Our itinerary is taking us to Dublin -- Kinsale -- Killarney -- Dingle -- Doolin -- Dublin.

We are going in mid-August (in about 3 weeks!)

Nothing is set in stone, so location can be tweaked.

Thanks for the links, I'm checking it out now.

Reply to: Which is better, Aran Islands or Skellig Michael
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aran Islands