We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around on Inis Meain

Round Rock, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Around on Inis Meain

We're flying in to Inis Meain on the 9 am from Connemara, and have to catch the 10:45 ferry to Inis Mor. I'd like to see the island but obviously I don't have a whole lot of time. I've read that there's a person with a van who will drive you around, but what if he's not there? Is it feasible to be able to walk to the church ruins and then to the harbor in time to catch the ferry?

2 replies to this topic
Inishmann, Ireland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Around on Inis Meain

When do you plan to travel.

Galway Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, Clare Island, The Burren, County Roscommon, Galway
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Around on Inis Meain

~~~Is it feasible to be able to walk to the church ruins and then to the harbor in time to catch the ferry?~~~

If you are referring to the small 10th-century church, yes it is most certainly something to see. However, you'd be running over to it and back in order to make time for the ferry to Inis Mór (Inishmore).

You might find someone with a van at the airport but these are usually there to bring people to their respective accommodations on the island. If I had the time to do one thing I would make a beeline for Cathaoir Synge. Follow the Purple Arrows as you depart the airport. It's signposted as a detour off the main trail. It'll be rushed but you might just about squeeze it in.

Teampall Bheanáin( St Benan’s Church) on Inis Mór is equally impressive. It's said to be the smallest church in Ireland.

Reply to: Getting Around on Inis Meain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aran Islands