We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a visit

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a visit

My husband & I will be in Chattanooga next June & am busy deciding where to stay and for how long?

If we stay downtown is it easy to get around on foot to restaurants and sights? We are great fans of Hampton Inns & I understand a new one is being built, any information on it?

As we are coming from UK any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a visit

Not sure about a new Hampton being built. Getting around downtown is very easy. Book a room close down by the riverfront. Many hotel choices, attractions, and restaurants all within walking distance. We also have a free shuttle to get around on if you prefer (www.carta-bus.org/routes/elec_shuttle.asp)

Look forward to having you come 'across the pond' to visit with us.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a visit

One other follow-up:

The week from June 11-17 Riverbend will be going on in Chatt. (riverbendfestival.com). It's our annual downtown music festival where 80k-100k pack downtown along the Riverfront each night. Could result in making it more difficult to get hotel reservations in the Chatt. area.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a visit

If you make a short stay you can pack it with activities. A longer stay of more than three days will probably be more laid back and have more opportunity for leisurely outdoors activities like biking the whole length of the Riverwalk and hiking up on Lookout and Signal mountains.

Construction on the new Hampton Inn is fully underway, but it won't open until July sixth. It's has a great location next to Rock Point Books and across the street from the Creative Discovery Museum and Majestic LEED theater.

Staying downtown is great because you really can get to wherever you want to go on foot, even if its across the river (there are two pedestrian bridges, and one is pedestrian-only). And if you're heading down to the business district or if you're staying in a hotel closer to the Choo-Choo, the electric shuttle speeds things up a bit.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a visit

Thanks for all the advice. Since the new Hampton Inn won't be open next June, which would be convenient hotels downtown? We went to the Choo-Choo for a day when we were last in the area but didn't get downtown at all so would really love to stay there for about 3 days..My husband would also like to visit Civil War sites, are any days better than others i.e. for Ranger tours.

Have a lovely Christmas everyone.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a visit

The most centrally located chains downtown are the Residence, Hampton, and the Courtyard. If you're interested in a B&B I recommend the Bluff View Inn, which has a great location in the Bluff View Arts District just a short stroll from the Riverwalk and Walnut Street Bridge. The Stonefort and Mayor's Mansion inns are also highly rated but are slightly further from the city center.

Musts for Civil War Buffs:

- A half to full day exploration of Chickamauga Battlefield, beginning with the visitor center

- Hike from Point Park to Sunset Rock, or visit both by car and hike to Glen Falls.

- Take a bicycle tour of Reflection Riding Arboretum

- Drive up to Signal Point

You may want to explore Lookout Mountain on your first day and consult with the rangers at the visitor center at Point Park to see about programs. I know they have them often in the summer. The rangers I've interacted with have been super.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a visit

Hotels downtown:

Hilton Garden Inn

Days Inn Rivergate

Sheraton Read House

Staybridge Suites

Marriott Convention and Trade Center

Residence Inn

Courtyard by Marriott

The Chattanoogan

Doubletree

Delta Queen riverboat (although it’s across the river. www.deltaqueenhotel.net)

The Choo Choo would be the furthest from downtown but even it's not that far and you can catch the shuttle right beside the hotel. I'd stay away from the Holiday Inn Express, LaQuinta, & Hampton advertised as downtown. They aren't in the 'best' part of town.

Also see: http://www.chattanoogafun.com/

As I mentioned earlier Riverbend is downtown in June. I'd be making hotel reservations soon.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a visit

These are additional ideas that may help you make your plans.

1) Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum www.tvrail.com

The largest operating railroad museum in the state.

2) Coolidge Park. This beautiful park features the antique carousel that has been restored and your child has a choice of 52 beautiful carved animals to ride. Docked on the Tennessee River at the park is the Delta Queen that is becoming a hotel.

Along the river on the south shore is the Riverwalk, that follows the Tennessee with beautiful scenery and interesting sights along the way. Walk across the Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge from the South Shore to the North Shore. www.chattanooga.gov/prac/30_1095.htm

3) Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park www.nps.gov/chch

4) Tennessee Aquarium World's largest fresh water aquarium. Absolutely fabulous!!! www.tnaqua.org

5) Rock City Gardens Lookout Mountain. For the young and the old! www.seerockcity.com

6) Chattanooga Zoo http://zoo.chattanooga.org

7) Bluff View Art District www.bluffviewartdistrict.com

8) Hunter Museum of American Art www.huntermuseum.org

chattanoogafun.com

Downtown Electric Shuttle - CARTA

... Electric Shuttle is the easiest way to get around Downtown Chattanooga. ... Electric buses run daily* about every 5 minutes from the Chattanooga Choo Choo ..

www.carta-bus.org/routes/elec_shuttle.asp

--------------------------------------------

Pittsburgh...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a visit

I would recommend the Residence Inn by Marriott on Chestnut Street or the Courtyard by Marriott across the street from it. Both are great hotels and are very convenient to everything downtown. They are also the closest hotels to the Tennessee Aquarium, which is on the river and at the heart of downtown Chattanooga. There are lots of things to see and do downtown and many restaurants and bars, all closeby and within waling distance. Chattanooga also offers a free electric shuttle service within its downtown area.

Pittsburgh...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a visit

These are all GREAT suggestions.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
84 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a visit

Thanks for all the advice, busy checking out the hotels and decided to stay an extra night as there seems so much to do!

Get answers to your questions about Chattanooga