We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel and Itenary help!

Prairieville, LA
Level Contributor
68 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel and Itenary help!

This year we are finally going to make it to TN!! My family (husband, 6 yr old daughter and 10 yr old son) will be arriving in Chattanooga on Saturday, June 19th around 3 p.m. Any suggestions for a hotel or what we can do the afternoon of our arrival? We will be headed to the Gatlinburg area on Sunday (4 p.m. check in) but would ilke to find something we can do in Chatt that morning. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,121 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel and Itenary help!

Well, if all you have is virtually one day to spend, I would normally suggest the downtown area and a visit to the Tennessee Aquarium with lunch nearby. This would still work for you on Sunday.

However, you don't want to be anywhere near the downtown area on Saturday of your arrival. That is the final night of the Riverbend Music festival and downtown will be a nut house with over 100,000 people attending the festival that night.

You may find hotels hard to find for that Saturday night in the area as well, so check carefully. I'm sure all the downtown locations are already booked, and even if they aren't, they would be very expensive.

Try "higher end" names like Holiday Inn Express, Fairfield, Hampton Inns etc. There are all kinds and brands of hotels located on the interstates, but not all of them can be recommended. Some of the better ones can be found on these interstate locations:

I-75, exit #5 (Shallowford Rd) zip code 37421

I-75, exit #7 (Lee Hwy) zip code 37421

I-75, exit #11 (Ooltewah) zip code 37363

I-24, exit #174 (Cummings Hwy/Lookout Mtn.) zip code 37419

You may find all of these full on June 19th, so good luck.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,121 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel and Itenary help!

Anyway, as for what to do on the Saturday you arrive, if you wind up staying near the I-75, exit #5, #7, or #11 area, you may want to just head to the Hamilton Place Mall and spend the evening there if you like large mall areas.

Another suggestion, if you get into town early enough, would be a visit to Rock City Gardens on top of Lookout Mountain. I'm not sure what time they close that time of summer, but since daylight is at it's longest, you may find you have time to do that attraction and it's not close to the Riverbend festival area so you won't have the traffic to deal with.

Hope these help a little anyway.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,572 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel and Itenary help!

I suggest, if possible, going straight to the mountains and stop in Chattanooga on your return. As Kat said, it will be overrun with people and downtown will be crazy. The Rock City idea is a good one, maybe the Zoo or the Tennessee Railroad Museum off Jersey Pike. Treat your children to a real train ride. Great attraction. Dining would be in the Shallowford Road side of town or for some nice scenery, The Boathouse on Amnicola Hwy. Near downtown, but not.

Prairieville, LA
Level Contributor
68 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel and Itenary help!

Thank y'all!

What about stopping near Sweetwater for the night on that Saturday? We can tour The Lost Sea and Mayfield Dairy on Sunday and then make our way to the mountains. Is that doable?

We will be leaving the mountains on Thursday morning and head back to Chattanooga. We will stay Thursday night and Friday night in Chattanooga (looking at the Holiday Inn-Lookout Mountain) before heading home Saturday morning. We want to do Rock City/Lookout Mountain. and the Railroad Museum. Any other must see attractions we should do? Thinking about a lunch or dinner riverboat cruise.. any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Edited: 08 April 2010, 21:34
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,572 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel and Itenary help!

I suggest you check the Mayfield Dairy website. Do not think there are tours on Sunday and limited on Saturday. I would also check the Lost Sea for their schedule. The following are several suggestions that I think are outstanding. Just took our grandson on the Tn. Railroad and Southern Belle this past weekend, and he loved them!

It is easier to stay in town and not have to deal with parking. There are several hotels in the perfect place. Hilton Garden, Marriott Residence and Courtyard & Doubletree. Also the Bluff View Arts District.

1) Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum www.tvrail.com

The largest operating railroad museum in the state.

2) Coolidge Park. This beautiful park features the antique carousel that has been restored and your child has a choice of 52 beautiful carved animals to ride. Docked on the Tennessee River at the park is the Delta Queen that is becoming a hotel.

Along the river on the south shore is the Riverwalk, that follows the Tennessee with beautiful scenery and interesting sights along the way. Walk across the Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge from the South Shore to the North Shore. www.chattanooga.gov/prac/30_1095.htm

3) Creative Discovery Museum for children 3-13 www.cdmfun.org

4) Tennessee Aquarium World's largest fresh water aquarium. Absolutely fabulous!!! www.tnaqua.org

5) Rock City Gardens Lookout Mountain. For the young and the old! www.seerockcity.com

6) Chattanooga Zoo http://zoo.chattanooga.org

7) Southern Belle www.chattanoogariverboat.com

CHATTANOOGA VISITORS CENTER:

1-800-322-3344 www.chattanoogafun.com

Downtown Electric Shuttle - CARTA

... Electric Shuttle is the easiest way to get around Downtown Chattanooga. ... Electric buses run daily* about every 5 minutes from the Chattanooga Choo Choo ..

www.carta-bus.org/routes/elec_shuttle.asp

-----------------------------------

Prairieville, LA
Level Contributor
68 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel and Itenary help!

Thanks Queeni - your right, Mayfield Diary is not open on Sundays. Maybe we can do that on our way back to Chattanooga on Thursday.

Also, is there a scenic route we can take from Chat/Sweetwater to the mountains? We are staying in Sevierville at The Resort at Governors Crossing.

Thanks again!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel and Itenary help!

Hello!

Mayfield produces both milk and ice cream on Thursdays, so that's a good time for a visit.

You can avoid downtown and crowds altogether on Saturday by passing through it and spending the night near Hamilton Place Mall (Shallowford Road exit) where there are a number of chain hotels of a range of quality. There are dozens of chain restraurants near the mall including better types like Romano's Macaroni Grill and P.F. Chang's. There are also two local joints: Big River Grille and the Acropolis.

For your afternoon you have a couple options to walk off the long drive in some peace and quiet. Both border creeks. The first option, Audubon Acres, is a Trail of Tears site and wildlife sanctuary on South Chickamauga Creek about five minutes from the mall area. It's notable for the half millennium-ago era Little Owl Indian village site, 1700s Spring Frog cabin built by Cherokees before they were removed, and the Walker family that lived in the cabin and farmed both the field in front of the cabin and the village site the other side of the creek across the Ford of Youth. There are interpretive trails focusing on invasive species and Cherokee medicine. Interesting spots include the swinging bridge, Sandpiper Beach, the sinkhole, and Resurrection Rock, accessible by meandering trails sometimes maintained by yours truly. I recommend a picnic (lots of picnic tables) and then a woodland ramble. There's a whole book, As the Indians Left It, filled with stories about the place, in case you're interested in that sort of thing. Admission would be $12 for your family.

Alternatively you could take a scenic drive on country roads up to Collegedale to enjoy Imagination Station, an awesome playground by the public library, a pond by the Adventist university with ducks in it that are fun to feed (bring bread), and the two mile greenway that connects the two, bordering Wolftiever Creek for most of the way. Free of charge, besides the bread.

More later.

8. Re: Hotel and Itenary help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2010, 08:16