We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where to stay

going to go see ruby falls, rock city and lost sea in the end of feb. What area should we stay, how long to see all of the above. What kind of weather should we expect. We are all adultsl that are going.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay

The Lost Sea is about an hour away from downtown Chattanooga. Ruby Falls and Rock City are located on the northern tip of Lookout Mountain, ten minutes away from downtown. So you can say pretty much wherever you like in Chattanooga. The Lost Sea takes two or three hours, Ruby Falls takes maybe an hour and a half, and you can spend as long as you like at Rock City (probably two hours or so). So you could see all three in a day.

However, there are many things to see and do very close to the three spots you mentioned that would require more time to enjoy. On Lookout Mountain there are a whole host of spots including the Natural Bridge, national military park, and Reflection Riding Arboretum. About thirty minutes south of the Lost Sea is the Mayfield Dairy, the tour for which is free. Up in that area is also Bald River Falls, the Cherohala Skyway, and the Ocoee River. All these things together are worth three or four days or more.

For weather, check the forecast. :) If you're visiting in the near future, expect cold.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay

Your first 2 attractions are on Lookout Mtn. The Lost Sea is toward Cleveland/ Athens are off #75. Your 2 options would be to stay in the downtown area and enjoy the riverfront area, Tennessee Aquarium and your choice of many restaurants. It would be a 15 minute drive to the attractions. Maybe a little less, depending on traffic. Choices would be Hilton Garden, Marriott Courtyard, Residence Inn, Sheraton, Doubletree, Bluff View Arts District and etc.

2nd option would be the Shallowford Rd area off #75. This is highly developed commercial area. Malls, many shops, restaurants and alot of traffic. Easy access to the interstate and from there you could north to the Lost Sea or south , around the city and up Lookout Mountain. Hotels would include, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Country Inn and Suites. Hilton Garden and etc. Many choices there also.

The weather, if normal, should be cold, but not like your cold. Nothing seems to be normal this year. Layer and you should be fine. Depending on your timing, Rock City should take a few hours, no more. Ruby Falls the same, at most. Both can be done in 1 day easily. The Lost Sea, depending on commute time should take a little longer.

There is much to see and do in the Chattanooga area. Stay around and enjoy. www.chattanoogafun.com

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay

Thanks for your input. Our daughter moved to cookeville last year and my inlaws moved to crossville AL. So we thought that would be a good meeting place for all of us to meet and see some sites.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay

Good idea! Yeah, Chattanooga will serve well for that. There's loads and loads to see and do here, so keep on doing research and asking us questions to pull up things that interest your group.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay

I've gotten very good hotel deals for Chattanooga on Priceline--both in the downtown area and in the Shallowford Rd area. I usually get LaQuinta when bidding 2 stars in the S.R. area; once, when attending a convention in Chattanooga, I got the Holiday Inn Choo Choo on Priceline for less than the special convention rate there. The Choo Choo is a little distance from the main tourist area around the acquarium, but it is right on the free trolley, which runs between the two areas.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
236 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay

Thanks for the great posts. We'll have a 12 year old with us and we'll be staying for two nights during spring break (end of March) and seeing the sights in Chatanooga, is downtown the best choice to stay? For example, I see a top rated hotel in Hamilton Place - where is Hamilton Place?

Edited: 05 February 2010, 19:59
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay

Hamilton Place Mall is located in East Brainerd, southeastern Chattanooga, about twenty minutes from downtown Chattanooga via I-24 and I-75. It's the most popular mall in Chattanooga and the largest in Tennessee, and there are close to a zillion chain restaurants around it. Typical suburban sprawl, but the new and well kept kind. A good place to stop if you're driving through town, but not centrally located in terms of sights to see. However, if you can find a good hotel rate and don't mind the drive into town, it could be a fine option.

That said, if the hotels downtown are in your budget, I'd definitely go that route. You can walk from the front door (or take the electric shuttle) to restaurants and the riverfront, and you're close to Signal and Lookout Mountains.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay

I would suggest downtown also. All you would want to see is right there. There are several choices. Doubletree, Hampton, Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn, Hilton Garden and Sheraton Read House.

The drive up Lookout Mountains is easy from the downtown area. The Bluff View Area is walkable and so is the Northshore. There is also a free shuttle bus that runs around the downtown area.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
236 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay

Perfect! Exactly the info I needed. I'm getting excited already, Thanks.

10. Re: where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Chattanooga