We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wife & I are planning to relocate.

Windham,Ohio
2 posts
Wife & I are planning to relocate.

Hello, Wife & I are planning to relocate to Summerville for numerous reasons (weather,hate the winters here) . I have become handicapped this past year. We are presently thinking of living in Summerville. We are coming down here in Sept. to check out a few apartment complexes. I really don't know what to expect. I have never lived this far South. We have done our homework on city search & after a thorough search we narrowed it down to 2 places for us to live possibly for the rest of our lives. The climate looks GREAT to us,albeit warm. (at least we don't have to dig our way out of the house) I really have a couple of questions. 1. is it congested ? Can I get around easily being handicapped ? I can't drive anymore because of my mysterious illness that the Drs. can't figure out. Is Summerville a friendly community or city ? Are we going to be welcome ? Thank you for your help. Maybe more to come.

6 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Wife & I are planning to relocate.

Trip Advisor deletes questions that are not travel related, so this will probably not last long. Sorry.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: Wife & I are planning to relocate.

Briefly... Summerville is a very desirable suburban area, however traffic congestion does occur sometimes on I-26 if you are heading into town. Congestion though is not as bad as it is in larger cities. Mount Pleasant is also a nice community and a bit closer to Charleston proper.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
3. Re: Wife & I are planning to relocate.

Summerville is a suburban town in the U.S. state of South Carolina. That is a good place to live. That is a small town and there is not too much population. This is not too much expensive you can get cheap apartments easily. Due to less population there is no problem of traffic.

Average crime is less than U.S. So at all you can go there and enjoy.

Best of luck.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Wife & I are planning to relocate.

There are plenty of problems with traffic between Summerville and Charleston in the morning and Charleston to Summerville in the evening. With a mystery diagnosis the OP will likely seek health care at MUSC in Charleston.

Windham,Ohio
2 posts
5. Re: Wife & I are planning to relocate.

Thank you everyone. I can't wait to get out of Ohio. Looking forward to our next phase of our lives. I have heard that the traffic is a problem off of I26. We will check that out. We are going down & scout the area. So we shall see. Once again,thank you for all of your insights.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,086 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Wife & I are planning to relocate.

You might want to consider the Triad of North Carolina: Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Two great teaching hospitals, Duke and UNC. One of them might find a treatment for your mystery disease.

I like Summerville, a lot. But if you have health problems, pick Duke.

Reply to: Wife & I are planning to relocate.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Summerville