We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biting Sand Flies

Wake Forest, NC
Level Contributor
942 posts
8 reviews
Biting Sand Flies

We were down there this past weekend. The flies were aggressive and biting. We left the beach because we could not take it. We have been coming to MB for years and never encountered this before. Has anyone else had this problem recently. It seems the only thing that you could do is move your chair down to the water’s edge and sit there. However, with my fair skin, that can only last so long. Does anyone of any other solutions? Do any bug sprays work?

Dublin, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
132 reviews
1. Re: Biting Sand Flies

We just left this past weekend. Yes they were biting us too but it didn't get so bad that we went for the bug spray.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Biting Sand Flies

Had there been a hard rain?

Have had a couple run ins with the large black flies biting. Finally realized it was always after rain. Only lasts maybe a day.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Biting Sand Flies

Also when there's a land breeze. They were bad here yesterday, and perhaps many beaches up the eastern seaboard.

North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
84 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Biting Sand Flies

Sorry to hear it. I definitely feel your pain, as I've had problems with them in the past.

Next time, buy and bring a bottle of Cactus Juice repellent -- they won't touch you afterwards.

Buy it here: http://cactusjuicetm.com/6oz-eco-spray/

PS: They should call it Jesus Juice, because you'll want to praise the lord after getting relief from sand flies.

2 posts
1 review
5. Re: Biting Sand Flies

Done, just in case. Bought in on Ebay for a little less price due to no taxes.

Thanks for the heads-up because we are bringing little ones.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
229 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Biting Sand Flies

If this is still an issue when we go - it will drive me crazy! I am wondering if regular bug spray helps also. You know, something like deep woods off - which we already have plenty of. Thanks!

7. Re: Biting Sand Flies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2017, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach