We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I26 and I77 interchange in Columbia, SC

Plain City, Ohio...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
I26 and I77 interchange in Columbia, SC

Anyone travelled to HHI and gotten stuck in major traffice in this area?

We did last year and I am trying to avoid it by going thru Greensboro, NC and then shooting down I95 to avoid this interchange. Last year, it seemed that we sat in traffic for almost 2 hours in this area.

We are coming from Columbus, OH and looking for an alternate route to avoid this mess this year. We are coming down the week after July 4th.

Daufuskie Island
Level Contributor
722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I26 and I77 interchange in Columbia, SC

I go through there several times a year traveling from HHI to Charlotte and back, usually during holidays. (but NEVER Fourth of July!)

Never had a problem at that interchange in the 14 years since those last few miles of I-77 opened as far as I can recall.

However, it is almost guaranteed that something will bring us to a halt between Columbia on I26 and Walterboro on I95. I often get off I77 at the last exit and take US 21 to Yemasee or US 321 to Hardeeville aka "the back way". Adds about 45 minutes to the trip, but the scenery is very nice, the small antebellum towns are quaint and the total time ends up about the same. Much less stressful too.

It's a long way out of the way to take I95 from Ohio through Greensboro. You might be better to go through Asheville NC and take I-26 the entire way.

Good luck and report back!

Jeff

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I26 and I77 interchange in Columbia, SC

I travel both regularly, but I don't travel on Saturdays during summer.I've never had a problem in Columbia. It could have been a wreck or just summer beach traffic. 40 to 95 from Greensboro will take you through Raleigh, which will be crowded as well. I think it's also out of your way.

One option is to leave earlier so that you get through Columbia well before lunch time. Everyone traveling to area beaches have check in times in the afternoon.

Plain City, Ohio...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I26 and I77 interchange in Columbia, SC

Thanks for the responses. Last year, we were traveling with a 3 month old and this year she will be 15 months when traveling. We plan to leave Friday night around bedtime (8pm) and stop after 7-8 hours of driving. This worked out nicely last year except we ended up getting stuck in this traffic in Columbia, SC. No wrecks or anything...just an insane amount of traffic converging together at the same time of day.

If it adds a little time to our drive, I'm not too concerned since we are already making a pit stop in either Charlotte or Greensboro.

My other idea is to leave earlier in the day and try to make it to Orangeburg, SC since we'd be going thru Columbia really, really early in the morning. At that point, you might as well drive completely thru to HHI and avoid everything......but then you have a whole day to kill in HHI before you can get into the vacation rental.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I26 and I77 interchange in Columbia, SC

I would "second" daufuskie's recommendation about taking US 21 and/or US 321. It's actually a more direct route than the interstates. As with the others, I've never really had problems at the I-77 / I-26 interchange, but I have sat on I-95 many a times.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I26 and I77 interchange in Columbia, SC

In almost 30 years of traveling from the Columbus area to Charleston, SC, we've never had the first problem around Columbia...the problem area has always been in Charlotte, NC, but now that their freeways are complete, that's pretty much a breeze, as well.

Our "usual" stopping point was generally Wytheville or somewhere just south of there, when we left later in the day (we live here now!!!).

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I26 and I77 interchange in Columbia, SC

Me too, tiger. 95 is the worst.

I say stay in Rock Hill, then leave early on Saturday. You can get through Columbia before all the other Ohio people (who likely stayed in Wytheville) get there. You can get to HHI before the back up.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I26 and I77 interchange in Columbia, SC

Shankle, we need to have a chat...:-)

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I26 and I77 interchange in Columbia, SC

Yes. We tend to type at the same time!

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I26 and I77 interchange in Columbia, SC

Just drove down from Cleveland this past Friday/Sat. No problems at all. We always stop for the night the Mariott RI at Lake Norman. Zip thru Charlotte on Saturday morning and are at our condo by 1pm on Saturday. No traffic problems at all this time, but then it is February!

Charlotte
Level Contributor
651 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I26 and I77 interchange in Columbia, SC

Jeffrey, I think you may have just gotten unluckly last year - as others have stated, we've also never had an issue in Columbia - always breezed right through in May, August or September. The I-26/I-95 interchange has sometimes been an issue though.

Get answers to your questions about Hilton Head