We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dye's Gullah Fixins'

Hamilton Ontario
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Dye's Gullah Fixins'

Went for the noon buffet at Dye's. The two meats were fried chicken and fried pork chops, maybe the best I've had for both. Also was corn beef and cabbage that was delicious.

The real stars though are the vegetables, as Dye said, cooked in the 'Gullah tradition' with few added spices except sea salt, pepper, and sugar. All the vegetable dishes-lima beans, collard greens, sweet potatoes, fried okra, were absolutely delicious. You could tell everything was prepared by someone who knows food and cares deeply.

The Mac and Cheese as well as the home style egg salad, coleslaw, and corn bread were equally delicious. I always wondered why people talked about "Low Country food" because previously I was not impressed in the least by the dishes. Now, after tasting Dye's food, I understand the popularily of Low Country cooking. The restaurant is very nice also, very homey, the servers are frienedly without being overbearing. The restaurant is hard to find since it is in the back of Pine Station Mall, but worth the trouble to look. I think we have found another 'must stop' restaurant in Hilton Head.

Edited: 16 March 2010, 19:20
Daufuskie Island
Level Contributor
759 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Dye's Gullah Fixins'

Great review!

You missed Dye's "Shrimp Deviled Eggs"!

If you go for dinner in the evening, look for them on the appetizer menu. (Hope they still have them) I love deviled eggs and adding chopped shrimp makes them that much better.

The Candied Yams are "to die for" and yes the mac-n-cheese and fried okra are awesome!

Don't miss it!

- Jeff

2. Re: Dye's Gullah Fixins'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 07:16