We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No-see-ums

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
No-see-ums

Coming to Hilton Head this week. Are the no-see-ums out yet or not? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No-see-ums

They're not out yet up here. It's been chilly.

Pennsylvania
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No-see-ums

Are the No-see-ums a big problem in HH? I had a problem on Captiva Island in Florida years ago. I will be on my first vacation in HH in August and didn't realize that they might be there. Thank You!

Mentioned in this post
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No-see-ums

It really depends on the wind direction and rain amounts. But yes, there will be bugs in the South in August.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
506 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No-see-ums

We went to HHI for the first time in August last summer and I thought I was being smart when we went on a trailride and wore pants...however not tight enough because my ankles were exposed and I had so many bites around my ankles it was awful. I couldn't reach down to shoo them away while I was riding and didn't want to kick my legs when I was on the horse!! So I know jeans and long socks underneath for me next time but other than that instance, I didn't really have too many bites elsewhere on my body. I would think you would be fine this time of year.

Pennsylvania
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: No-see-ums

Thank you! I was affected majorly before. Is there anything good(lotion) to put on before you go out?

Eastern Kentucky...
Level Contributor
312 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No-see-ums

Something ate me alive when I went kayaking last August. I strongly recommend buying some Off and taking it wherever you go.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
506 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No-see-ums

I don't know what to use...In June when we normally go they aren't too bad...but last August, I had Off on and it didn't help during that trailride. Any locals want to weigh in???

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No-see-ums

HHI girl you are right. You can put all kinds of Deet on and they still bite. They just don't bite twice. Locals run from A/C to A/C. The only real relief is the ocean.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No-see-ums

Dang, I forgot about those things! We used to get them in Biloxi in the spring, but as we're usually in the Panhandle where they're not an issue, I didn't think of them. We'll be visiting HH for the first time at Palmetto Dunes April 9-12th. We're leaving WI to get to Destin via Hilton Head (visiting with family, and no we're not lost). If I remember correctly, they're worse in the afternoon and on the grass, right? I think we were OK in open areas or in the pool.

We're looking forward to the visit. Over on the Destin forum, there's been a discussion of "Destin or Hilton Head--which do you prefer?" HH seems to win, so now I'll do my own research.

Mentioned in this post
Biloxi
Biloxi
Mississippi
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Hilton Head
Hilton Head
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No-see-ums

We were in Hilton Head in April 2009 for Easter Week and my husband was bitten by the no-see-ums. His bites went to welts to being infected and he had to go to a doctor, got a shot, medication and lotion to apply to his legs. I took pictures......it wasn't a pretty sight from his ankles to his knees and three days of pure misery for him.

P.S. We used "Off" and it wasn't any help.

Edited: 17 March 2010, 19:11
Mentioned in this post
Hilton Head
Hilton Head