We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Charleston this week!

Richardson, Texas
Level Contributor
129 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to Charleston this week!

My wife and I (empty nesters) are finally traveling this Thursday night for our first trip to Charleston. Any other recommendations for our Halloween weekend?:

Thursday, 29 October

- Southwest airline arriving at 9:30pm (Uber or Carta shuttle?)

- The Mills Hotel - 3 nights ($169/night!)

Friday, 30 October

- Eli's Table - Breakfast @ 8:30am in patio

- Two Sisters walking tour @ 10:30

- Ft Sumter boat tour - Friday afternoon

- Circa 1886 - Dinner at 6pm in courtyard (is Open table reliable?)

Saturday, 31 October (Halloween)

- Dixie Supply & Bakery - Breakfast togo (Diners, Drive-ins & Dives restaurant)

- Middleton and Drayton plantations - rent an Enterprise car for day

- Peninsula Grill - Dinner at 6:15pm (patio table requested by Open table)

Sunday, 1 November

- Southwest airline - Depart at 10:30am for Dallas (take Uber or Carta?)

My wife and I are very energetic, early bird, empty nesters, so we like to experience Charleston in the morning. (e.g.; Café du Monde in New Orleans)

Any unique Halloween events? Oyster roast fundraisers? Unique experiences?

Thanks in advance to all the TA contributors!

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
881 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Charleston this week!

Looks like a good plan. I don't know of much going on for Halloween which doesn't mean it isn't happening I am more of the fishin'/huntin' guy on here they don't let me out much.

There are always shuttles and such waiting at the airport when you arrive just outside baggage claim. To get back to the airport I would schedule a shuttle or yes perhaps Uber. I have never used Uber but from what I understand they really do a great job.

Unique experiences. Everyone thinks where they live is unique, but Charleston is unique. There is a unique experience or a hidden gem around seemingly all corners in downtown Charleston.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
989 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Charleston this week!

You might consider the evening tour of the Charleston jail that's reported to be haunted. We took it and enjoyed it. My wife says she felt a chill on an evening that was in the 80's. The guide is very knowledgeable and imparts some rather startling information about life in those days.

Richardson, Texas
Level Contributor
129 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Charleston this week!

JT & Tim, thank you for your feedback and we'll definitely check out the Charleston Jail tour too!

We're really looking forward to our first trip to Charleston and experiencing the historic city!

It may not be appropriate here, but a special thanks to Southwest Airlines for starting cheap flights to Charleston now that the government has lifted flight restrictions (Wright Amendment) from Love Field in Dallas!

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
588 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Charleston this week!

We made all our reservations through open table and they were intact and valid upon our arrival. In fact the establishments called us the day before to be certain our plans did not change. We liked both Circa and Peninsula with the nod going to the latter.

United States
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Charleston this week!

I think a cab is well worth the price from the airport, to be able to go straight to your lodging. Cabs are easy to find outside of baggage claim.

Congrats on cheap tickets! Always a nice treat when you can do it.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,688 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to Charleston this week!

Oh!

That haunted jail tour sounds like such fun!

You will love Charleston!

7. Re: First Trip to Charleston this week!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2016, 06:17