We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report day 1 and 2

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
588 posts
116 reviews
Trip report day 1 and 2

On the Hawaii forum we post trip reports and everyone appreciates them. So I will do that here. If it is not appropriate for this forum let me know.

Day one Oct 14: arrived in Charleston airport. Very convenient car rental area. Had to watch the lane changes between the airport and I-526. Until you are on I-26 stay alert. You need a navigation system or transportation for hire here. Lots of one way streets. The College of Charleston and the Medical College cut off a lot of streets. It really isn't a place for tourists like me to be wandering unguided. Safe but you can get turned around easily. After six days I finally figured out the value of Lockwood boulevard and Calhoun Street.

The students at the C of C actually stop and let traffic pass!!!

Checked into Wentworth Mansion. It is the BEST! Wood trim, stained glass, chandeliers and the best concierge in the business.

Ate lunch at Circe's Grotto on the corner of Wentworth and StPhilip St. You MUST stop and get the Caprese Sandwich..... not salad.... but sandwich. It was the best sandwich I have eaten in a year!! The food was cheap and filling. Huge sandwiches with artisan breads.

Grabbed a pedi-cab to the city market. These are a great means of conveyance and cost seven to eleven bucks. City market was good variety and we went back on the last day to buy souvenirs.

Sweetgrass baskets on sale. Look for a tightly woven one. My wife weaves and felt the ones made by Louise Jefferson (yes that is her name) were top quality. Bought two. We also found a vendor out 17 north in Mt Pleasant from who we purchased. Near CVS.

There is a booth where the tax is waived and donated to the Charleston Historical Society. Good quality gifts and donates to a good cause to boot. They rolled up the sidewalks early there. 90% close by a little before five.

Then walked waterfront park and the pier there. Sat on the pier swings with my wife. It was great!! Walked all the way to battery row. Stop at the dog park in the evening and talk to the owners and watch the dogs have a blast. Some beautiful animals there. Got some ice cream just up Vendue Street. (Be sure to get a good walking map with restrooms indicated!!),

Get the obligatory picture at the pineapple fountain. We were there near sunset and the lighting was magical. This park is a wonderful way to relax and unwind after flying since seven AM. Maybe there is an ordinance against it but I missed street musicians. Photographed herons and egrets. And other shorebirds. (A novelty for us northerners). Walked up bay Street to have dinner at Magnolias.

Magnolias got us in immediately. Had a good meal. Good service but it isn't in my top ten. The crab stuffed trout was good. We were there for two hours so we did wait a while for our courses.

Took a cab back to the mansion (love saying that)... Manny's cab service was professional and prompt......and crashed for the night. More to come.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: Trip report day 1 and 2

We LOVE trip reports, and we always learn so much from them! I had never heard of Circe's Grotto, but it sounds like a good place to grab lunch later this week. I am looking forward to your next installment.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,178 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Trip report day 1 and 2

I have never heard of it either. I am allergic to wheat.... so sandwiches are out for me, but good to know to pass on to others.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,717 posts
219 reviews
3. Re: Trip report day 1 and 2

Great start to what was obviously a great trip.

I hate that I missed out on that Caprese sandwich. It sounds delish!!

Looking forward to more. :D

Indiana
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
566 reviews
4. Re: Trip report day 1 and 2

Good stuff! These will help a bunch for my summer 2016 trip.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
4,011 posts
329 reviews
5. Re: Trip report day 1 and 2

It sounds like you are off to a great start! Thanks for posting.

United States
Level Contributor
7,069 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Trip report day 1 and 2

Thanks for the report so far.

We had ice cream from the shop on Vendue also. Very Good!

Mahwah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
626 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: Trip report day 1 and 2

Thank you for your report! I just booked my flight for my husband and I to visit Charleston for the first time Valentine's weekend so I definitely am interested to hear about your trip!

8. Re: Trip report day 1 and 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2016, 05:17