We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College of Charleston visit - things to do with 18yr old boy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
College of Charleston visit - things to do with 18yr old boy

I will be visiting the College of Charleston with my son to see if he likes the area before he accepts and was looking for suggestions of places to go, things to do and most importantly, places to eat.

He is not a big seafood lover, but loves fried chicken, burgers and bbq.

Id really like for him (and me) to get a feeling of the city if this will be his new home for the next 4 years and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
4,010 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College of Charleston visit - things to do with 18yr old boy

Check out the beach. Most of the college age kids go to Folly. Walk through Waterfront Park and down King Street. If he likes history, he might enjoy seeing Patriots Point. What are his interests?

There are tons of restaurants. I had not read this post before I advised the restaurant Coast. Sometime while you are here, he might enjoy having fried chicken at Jestine's.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College of Charleston visit - things to do with 18yr old boy

Thanks, I have read reviews for jestines and have also seen the park is beautiful!

He likes to eat, walk, the beach (which I dont think we will have time for). He loves to take pictures. Not sure he wants to "do" anything specific, just wants to be in the town and get a feel for the city.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
Level Contributor
4,010 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: College of Charleston visit - things to do with 18yr old boy

He will find plenty of photo-op moments all over downtown. Pictures of the bridge are good. Many of the professional photographers specialize in gates, doors etc.

So much to see and do here for every age and interest.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
10,185 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: College of Charleston visit - things to do with 18yr old boy

Charleston is a great walking town, especially for photo ops, I carry my camera all the time, you never know when the perfect pic will be right around the corner.

Wander in some of the shops w/your son, you'll find that most of them are staffed w/students from CofC.

You won't have to leave the HD to give him an idea of the area (unless you do choose to go to the beach). Another place the kids flock to is the restaurant area at Sullivans Island. Was there on a beautiful, sunny Saturday in January (Poes Tavern, there's your burgers), the college kids were everywhere enjoying the day.

Edited: 13 March 2011, 12:51
Boston...
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: College of Charleston visit - things to do with 18yr old boy

When are you going? I'll be doing the same with my son this weekend March 17-19.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: College of Charleston visit - things to do with 18yr old boy

We will be there the 16 -18th - not for accepted students weekend, which Im hoping isnt a mistake to miss

Boston...
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: College of Charleston visit - things to do with 18yr old boy

We will be there 17 to 19. There is definitely stuff going on on the 18 and I'm sure there is space. I guess the main day is the 19th. Is this your first child going to college? I don't think being there is absolutely key. It's just nice for them to get a feel for other students considering the school. Ia this your son's first choice?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: College of Charleston visit - things to do with 18yr old boy

I have 4 boys, my oldest is in community college looking to transfer to a 4 year this sept. This is my 2nd oldest and he is ready for a 4yr university right off the bat. We are from NJ. His top 2 are Charleston and Monmouth in NJ. So basically I have 2 looking at the same time. I thought it would be good for him to get to know other prospective students as well but he was not so interested in that. And because we are on a budget the weekday thing was cheaper. So we will tour Charleston on the 17th and he was accepted to the Honors college as well so he will have that too. It is a full day and seems pretty thorough. The rest of the time we will spend exploring the area. How about you? Is this your first experience with Charleston and college in general?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: College of Charleston visit - things to do with 18yr old boy

Let me jump in and suggest you p.m. each other.

Most college kids don't have the cash to spend on moderate restaurants - and there are a lot of inexpensive choices right around the college. Some are on the side streets and some are on King - there are a few pizza places (d'allesandro's is a huge college hangout) and a pita place on King and some sandwich places (across from the Apple store is a good one). If the weather is nice - go to Juanita Greenberg's and sit outside in the back on the back deck. My favorite place for a sunny Sunday; pretty inexpensive food, too.

Jim N Nick's is a good barbecue place on King St. for bbq. Everyone loves Yo Burrito; I'm sure he'll love their food.

Enjoy your visit!

Boston...
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: College of Charleston visit - things to do with 18yr old boy

Thanks. we did private message each other. Some of us newer posters are still learning. Thanks for your help.