We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip w/12 & 5 y.o - never been

ct
Level Contributor
74 posts
52 reviews
Day trip w/12 & 5 y.o - never been

Hi, we are looking to take a day trip to Block Island. Never been so don't know what to expect. Live in New Haven area not sure where to take the Ferry out of. Plan on walking once off the ferry. Is there a lot for the kids to do in walking distance? I read about a zoo and Alpaca's, good for my lil guy but will my pre-teen be bored there? thanks in advance!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
244 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Day trip w/12 & 5 y.o - never been

The New London ferry would be closest for you www.goblockisland.com for schedule

The 1661 Farm and Gardens is close by and a great stop for both ages.

Next door to them is North Light Fibers which is also very interesting.

At the Town Dock in Old Harbor you could do a "Banana Boat" ride which would be great fun for your 12 year old (wouldn't take the 5 year old). It's like a giant tube ride out in the water...you'll need suits and towels.

The same operator has parasailing if that is something you'd enjoy for your 12 year old.

I'd suggest you walk up to the bluffs, or take a taxi, where you will see the Southeast Lighthouse, Mohegan Bluffs, and from either of those spots, the new Offshore Wind Farm.

In New Harbor, which is just one mile from Old Harbor/Town there are paddleboard and kayak rentals. Kayaks are good for both ages.

Next to the kayak rentals is the Block Island Maritime Institute. BIMI has lots of activities and classes for kids.

2. Re: Day trip w/12 & 5 y.o - never been

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2017, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Block Island
Recent Conversations