We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best New Harbor food options?

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
16 reviews
Best New Harbor food options?

Here's a funny little question. I've been coming to Block Island for decades, but I have ALWAYS stayed in Town. This year, for the first time ever, we're taking an apartment in New Harbor, next to Dead Eye's.

We're on a tight budget; what are the best affordable food options, both for groceries and eating out? Are prices at the Depot or the Oar grocery store much higher than at BIG? What are the most reasonably priced New Harbor restaurant ideas, especially for takeout?

Cranston, Rhode...
Level Contributor
157 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Best New Harbor food options?

I'm guessing the prices at the grocery stores are probably about the same at all three. The Depot is small and I'm guessing the Oar would be even smaller. My suggestion would be to walk over to BIG and then call a taxi if you have that much to carry back. Or bring an insulated shopping bag for the walk back.

The Oar, Deadeye Dick's and Mahogany Shoals make up the restaurant scene in New Harbor. I think you will find that the prices for all three would be comparable to the restaurants in town.

Edited: 04 August 2016, 20:15
Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Best New Harbor food options?

The Depot goes by another name and another restaurant option is The Narragansett Inn which has a

dining room.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Best New Harbor food options?

Continuing my post ... Ballards is a nice beach but not for small children. Go to the right coming off the ferry. The beach runs the whole length of the island. You can stop anywhere you want. Beach access is from the driveway past The Blue Dory. State Beach is located where you can see the light green pavilion where there are lifeguards. But you can stop anywhere before you get there.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
108 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Best New Harbor food options?

This post should be for the person with the 2 and 4 year old.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
244 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Best New Harbor food options?

The most reasonable food in New Harbor is at Rebecca's on the Dock (at Payne's Dock). They have everything from chicken fingers and salads to really great, reasonably priced seafood.

The Narragansett Inn has a fantastic menu this year...it's a little more expensive than Rebecca's and the food and view are both great.

For grocery items the Block Island Depot (still called the Block Island Depot) is a good choice. There is also a great little market at the Block Island Boat Basin where you can purchase grocery items. I've been told that milk is less expensive there than downtown, so other items may be as well.

And....you are above Payne's Donuts...so you may be all set.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Best New Harbor food options?

Yeah, I'm looking forward to an entire week of smelling like donuts. ;)

I didn't know there was a Rebecca's at Payne's! That's great.

7. Re: Best New Harbor food options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2017, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Block Island
Recent Conversations