We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strasburg Railroad(s)

Kaarst, Germany
Level Contributor
121 posts
71 reviews
Strasburg Railroad(s)

Hi,

I´m a bit cofused about the historic railroad(s) and toy train displays.

We would like to see some historic engines and coachs, but do not want to take a trip with these. So should we go to Railroad Museum or the Strasburg Railroad?

We might also have a look at toy trains, and there seem to be the Choo-Choo barn and the Toy Train museum.

If these are different places, which would you prefer?

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Strasburg Railroad(s)

The Railroad Museum displays trains. It is run by the state of Pennsylvania.

The Strasburg Railroad, accross the street is the train ride. It is a private corporation

The Choo Choo Barn is a huge model train operating layout complete with moving figures(firemen putting out a fire etc). It is better for kids.

The train collectors museum is operated by The train Collectors Association. It has operating layouts but also displays of all kinds of model trains. It is ideal for model train collectors.

Edited: 23 April 2013, 11:55
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Strasburg Railroad(s)

Hi, I am going this weekend for the first time to Amish country and want to take a ride in the strasburg rail. Can you please tell me which car is the best to ride in? We are a couple in our twenties. Thanks a lot.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Strasburg Railroad(s)

I would take one of the regular coach cars. The plusher Parlor and dining cars are more attractive, but Iwould only take them if you are willing to pay more to ride in Victorian style. The food and drink offered on these cars is no better than average.

on Srturday there is a wine and cheese train, but , again I would say not worth the extra expense.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Strasburg Railroad(s)

thank you very much. Yes, I was looking forward to experience the Victorian grandeur and I don't mind spending more. I am confused between the lounge and parlor cars.. any suggestions?

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Strasburg Railroad(s)

Both feature more comfortable seating than the coach cars-with the lounge cars having comfortable lounge chairs scattered throughout the car and the parlor car featuring chairs around small tables, but in more conventional rows.

Both serve the same drinks and snack/desert menu-unless things have changed recently.

Look at the photos on the website to see what appeals to you more. They are the same price ,

there is a wine and cheese train on Saturday November 15th, served in both the parlor car and lounge car for a higher price. I have never taken this so can't comment on it specifically.

Reply to: Strasburg Railroad(s)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Strasburg