We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pittsburgh with a 6 and 8 yr old

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pittsburgh with a 6 and 8 yr old

Hi

Thinking about taking my brother and his two kids for a weekend in Pittsburgh this spring. It would be kind of midway between us, and easy for him to drive with the two kiddos. Plus I will see how they handle something short and close to home - to get them ready for longer trips with Aunty when they get older!

What are the sorts of things kids would enjoy there? I'm thinking of the Carnegie Museum, for starters (isn't that the one that has the dinosaurs?) and if we time it right, maybe a Pirates game. My 8 yr old nephew would enjoy that. I bet my 6 yr old niece would too.

The idea is that once we get there, no more driving while there. Preferably walking or cabs if needed. We won't have time for Kennywood, in other words.

Which area would you stay in to maximize walking to the fun things for kids? I will assume the stadium would be a cab drive.

Thanks!

Pittsburgh PA
Level Contributor
22 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pittsburgh with a 6 and 8 yr old

You could stay downtown or on the north side, which would give you access to the Childrens Museum and PNC Park, plus the Point which is a nice place to run around.

But I would think you'd want to check out the zoo, which is going to be a cab ride no matter where you stay. It's relatively close to downtown or the north side, so it won't be expensive, and it's well worth it.

And yes, the Carnegie Museum in Oakland has dinosaurs, that's another one you should really do. They have a history museum and art museum in the same building. Oakland is a great place to walk around- it's the home of the University of Pittsburgh and the Cathedral of Learning. If you're in Oakland, take the kids on a walk to Dave and Andy's and get some ice cream.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pittsburgh with a 6 and 8 yr old

The Northside would be an ideal location... so would downtown, but may involve some taxi rides if the kids aren't big walkers.... start pricing hotels and see what comes out with a better deal. You can walk to PNC Park, the Children's Museum and also the Carnegie Science Center. As mentioned, the Carnegie Museum would be great for the dinosuars, and the zoo is excellent.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,371 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pittsburgh with a 6 and 8 yr old

As previously mentioned, the Carnegie Science Center is great and I might even recommend it in lieu of the Carnegie Museum of Natural History (dinosaurs) simply because it's a hands-on science museum, which kids of all ages enjoy. Attached to the Science Center, and included in the price of admission, is the Sportsworks which has hands-on exhibits pertaining to the science of sports.

Should you find yourself in Oakland, I would also recommend a quick walk through the Cathedral of Learning on the campus of the University of Pittsburgh. The kids will feel as if they are walking through Hogwarts or a knight's castle. Also worth a quick stop is "Fredasaurus", the dinosaur sculpture honoring Mr. Rogers in front of WQED-TV on Fifth Avenue.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM4V83

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pittsburgh with a 6 and 8 yr old

Phipps Conservatory is also walking distance of the museum and Pitt in Oakland--it is a great place if the kids enjoy that kind of thing.

I actually think Oakland is a better location to stay than the North Side, more attractions and restaurants to walk to. Easy bus service to downtown and the North Side from Oakland.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,994 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pittsburgh with a 6 and 8 yr old

The Pittsburgh Things to Do tab is a good place to start:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g53449-Activitie…

There are plenty of activities...You don't mention the length of your stay, but I don't think you could go wrong with staying downtown. There are a variety of hotels in broad budget ranges, especially on the weekend.

Latrobe...
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pittsburgh with a 6 and 8 yr old

A lot depends on what interests your kids. Mine are 5,8,11,12. They all love going to a Pirates game and the Carnegie Science Center. SportsWorks at the Science Ctr is fun if it's not crowded.

If you have extra time on the North Side, and they like animals, consider the National Aviary. We did it last summer and it was fabulous, especially the chance to feed some of the birds and the shows.

Carnigie Natural History has the most impressive dinosaur display I've seen, plus so much more. I could spend hours in there, but after the dinosaurs (and digging in the "bone quarry"), my youngest get a little bored, so we head downstairs to their kids' educational area (sorry, forget what it's called), and then call it a day. The dinos alone are worth it, though!

The Just Ducky tour is fun. Kids get a chance to drive the boat.

Sadly, my youngest 3 were bored at the Cathedral of Learning, and didn't appreciate the Fred Rogers dino as much as I did!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
86 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pittsburgh with a 6 and 8 yr old

If you stay on Pittsburgh's North Side, in the neighborhood of PNC Park (where the Pirates play) you would have no need for a cab - until you go to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History (for the dinosaurs) and the Pittsburgh Zoo (for the non-extinct animals!). BOTH of these are well worth the visit.

When my kids were that age they loved the Zoo in Highland Park, the Carnegie Science Center especially the Sportsworks and the Carnegie Museums in Oakland. There is SOOO much to see and do in Pittsburgh. But if you stay in the North Side you'll find plenty to entertain your family of all ages and not have to worry about cabs!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
759 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pittsburgh with a 6 and 8 yr old

I would say you'd have to take them to the zoo. Pittsburgh has a great zoo, IMO.

9. Re: Pittsburgh with a 6 and 8 yr old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2013, 10:19