We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripods allowed at the site?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
198 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Tripods allowed at the site?

Hello,

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but I'd like to know what policy is on using tripods near the stones. I'm an amateur photographer and would like to do some long exposure photography if possible.

Thanks!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,671 Reviews
from US$123.70*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,249 Reviews
from US$126.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
545 Reviews
from US$86.10*
Level Contributor
99 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tripods allowed at the site?

It's many years since I visited, but when I did you were free to roam as you wished and there were no restrictions on tripod use. At busy times though, you might have a problem with people getting in the way.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tripods allowed at the site?

I’ll guess you mean at Stonehenge?

Non-commercial photography is fine, otherwise see english-heritage.org.uk/visit/…facilities (Don’t expect to get too much peace, at any given time there will be 100s of people around, all having paid the same entrance fee as you!

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tripods allowed at the site?

I think you mean Avebury - in which case there are o restrictions. The site is in the village with no entry fees, wardens etc. You can wander around as you please and take as many photos as you like.

Also follow the footpath up the hill that overlooks the village as there are some great views from the top. I can't remember where it is but it is off of a farm track.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
198 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tripods allowed at the site?

I meant at Stonehenge indeed. Sorry for the confusion.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tripods allowed at the site?

Avebury is not near Amesbury, but Stonehenge is..... we need the OP to clarify.

I was at Avebury this PM and you can do what you like short of damaging the site....l

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tripods allowed at the site?

Ok to follow up, so Stonehenge, if you are an amateur taking pictures for your own enjoyment then that’s fine.

Edited: 15 August 2017, 21:44
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
198 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tripods allowed at the site?

This is the type of shot I'd lie to take: colethompsonphotography.com/Cole%20Overflow/…

I always thought this was Stonehenge. I apologize if these stones are called or located in a different place.

I'd be carrying a tripod and set it up away from the crowds to avoid causing problems for other purposes and it would be a non-commercial / hobby shoot.

Thanks!

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tripods allowed at the site?

Yep, that’s Stonehenge

9. Re: Tripods allowed at the site?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2018, 20:18