We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in SJDS

Which San Juan del Sur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
safety in SJDS

Hi Hopefully our first time to SJDS, I want to visit and stay at the Mango Rosa hotel but my husband is concerned about safety in this area. Any info that convince him that we will have a great time will be appreciated. Cheers, Connie

Ontario
Level Contributor
25 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: safety in SJDS

Meg_Tut you should be fine out at maderas but dont bank on finding taxis to take you to/from maderas and town at night. the taxis all disapear when nightime hits. but you have nothing to worry about on that stretch.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
421 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: safety in SJDS

I stayed at Mango Rosa this past December for a 3 nights. Single Female travelling solo. No concerns at all! The night I went into town, I was dropped off and picked up by staff. Great spot! Enjoy

Great Falls...
Level Contributor
85 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: safety in SJDS

To the guy about Nica-Adventures - they are a great outfit and you'll hve a great time. The place you're staying in isn't tortuga azul but posada azul...small boutique style place - very comfortable with delicious breakfasts.

San Jaun del Sur is safe enough. No worries at all during the day time. We were told not to go near the bridge that crosses the creek at the north end around night time (near the club). We did wander around at night time (not that area mind you) and never had any problems whatsoever. Just use your street smarts as you would anywhere else and you should be fine.

des moines, IA
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: safety in SJDS

Thank-you for the info about Nica Adventures. We are staying at a privately owned home called Tortuga Azul owned by someone from the states. It is near the restaurant called El Jardin and is north of town.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
17 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: safety in SJDS

I feel perfectly safe and have stayed there several times. Of course, I wouldnt walk back to my hotel late at night when the drunks are exiting the bars..... Then I would take a taxi back. Using common sense like you would in any city or town is a must.... But SJDS, to me, a female in my late 50's is very safe.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
38 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: safety in SJDS

Don't walk in the secluded areas of the roads to any of the beaches tho from San Juan Del Sur...use a vehicle. We did meet people who had apparently ran into the group of young men who apparently like to prey on unsuspecting tourusts and rob them on route to some of the beaches. The people we talked to did run into them en route to Playa Maderas but they said that they probably wouldn't have even have known they were there if they had passed in vehicles... Just saying...if on foot to the beaches, stay on the beaten track to be extra safe.

Granada, Nicaragua
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: safety in SJDS

In the past month or so there was a masked machete robbery on the beach road in broad daylight, A surver was killed at Maderas (hit rocks) and a pedestrian was struck and killed in a nightime hit and run just outside of town.

Even with this and seveal other incidents, I wouldn't avoid SJdS for safety reasons. It is a reasonably safe place for a traveler with common sense.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: safety in SJDS

my kids and i went 2 years ago and they returned last year to surf and felt they were totally safe. am going back next month w/wife you can walk about freely night or day. i will stay at american owned bed and breakfast that i highly recommend. e-mail me if u want more info am5153@msn.com

Regina, SK
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: safety in SJDS

We did not stay at Mango Rosa, but my experience of SJDS and Nicaragua was all good. As long as you use common sense, travel smart, do you research into safe/"unsafe" areas (ie. ask locals, use a money belt, bring locks, ask around before using certain ATM's) you will have no issues.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
421 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: safety in SJDS

Stayed at Mango Rosa for 3 nights in December, as a solo female traveller and did not feel unsafe at any time. I did go into SJDS one evening and after dark, was a little cautious, but with little valuables on me, etc., I wouldn't say I was much more cautious than I would be anywhere else in the world. Take the same precaustions you would anywhere, as Bryce K says - moneybelt, locks, etc.

Get answers to your questions about San Juan del Sur
Recent Conversations