We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

piedras y olas or villa isabella

bradenton
2 posts
Save Topic
piedras y olas or villa isabella

Can anyone help me make my decision. I keep going back and forth with staying at these two properties. We will be in SJDS for 3-4 nights in July and I see the pros and cons of each place. Piedras y Olas looks beautiful but is it worth the expense? I am figuring at least 100 us dollars more a night than Villa Isabella which looks nice also and may have more of a personal touch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: piedras y olas or villa isabella

PyO is very nice, but not worth the gringo prices. Go with Villa Isabella. You can always go eat at the PyO restaurant. Really, you don't spend that much time in the rooms.

San Juan del Sur...
Level Contributor
171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: piedras y olas or villa isabella

villa isabella would be my choice. I live like three houses from there. Great location and the owner Mike is super nice

Holyoke...
Level Contributor
68 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: piedras y olas or villa isabella

There is no comparing the two - it is a choice between two different "worlds" both with strong positives - it's up to you what is more important to you because you will get what you pay for with each. (we stayed at Villa Isabella and visited Pelican Eyes several times, plus visited people who were actually staying there) We found Villa Isabella very friendly, but very, very basic. Not a bad choice - just no comparison.

California
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: piedras y olas or villa isabella

I was in SJDS for a week in December. We actually stayed at Las Cascadas B & B and had a wonderful time. It's about the same price as Villa Isabella but it's a newer place and the rooms and landscaping of the property are great. We also went for drinks at Pelican Eyes. I think happy hour is Wednesday and Fridays. The property is beautiful. If you are going for a real romantic trip, I would go to Pelican Eyes. But if you are going to be on the beach all day then maybe save the money and stay some place else

Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: piedras y olas or villa isabella

PyO is for those who stay in four seasons..

if your a four seasons kind of guy then PyO is your place.

Isabella is the best of the rest, water and power backup... You'll be happy about that once the cut the power or the water. It's a common occurrence to not have water or power for hours. Mike is a great guy and and his breakfast kicks butt!

my 2 cents,

tom

Atlanta
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: piedras y olas or villa isabella

I think it depends on your age. If you are young and a backpacker type, Hotel Isabella is probably fine although we took a look at it and the room was small and not exactly HGTV decorated. It would have been depressing to me. We are in our 60s and just returned from Pelican Eyes. It is the most beautiful place we have ever stayed. The view of the bay from our balcony was spectacular. We had a habitacion that cost $145 plus tax, but thought it was worth it. The room was the size of an apartment with a wall of windows about 30 feet long and a balcony to match. The facilities are beautiful - especially the upper pools and bar. The breakfast was generous and their muffins were wonderful. If you are older, just remember that there really are as many steps there as people say. If you have a car though, you can probably drive up to your room and spend your time at the upper bar and pools rather than going down to the facilities at Reception.

San Juan del Sur
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: piedras y olas or villa isabella

Another option would be Park Avenue Villas. It is a newer hotel, 1 block from the beach, that really does have a personal touch. The owners, Ralph and Renda, provide Texas-style hospitality. You get your choice of an apartment with kitchen or a nice room without a kitchen. They also have a beautiful view of the bay from their terrace.

See www.parkavenuevillas.com for more information.

santa fe, NM
Level Contributor
187 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: piedras y olas or villa isabella

I vote with the Villa Isabella crowd! We liked feeling more a part of the local community rather than a resort. We did try out their restaurant (past the guards and up the stairs to PyO...) but thought the food just ok. Be sure to check your bill at the restaurant there as sometimes items are incorrectly added on (by mistake, of course!) which I found an unusual occurrence in Nica.

As another thought, I really loved La Posada Azul (new in Jan 2007 or thereabouts). Only 1 block off the beach, beautiful swimming pool, 6 rooms (I think - maybe only 4), gorgeously furnished with lovely Nica furniture... looked like an architectural design mag! We didn't stay there because it wasn't as kid friendly as Villa Isabella but if I was travelling with just my husband, I would definitely go for La Posada Azul over PyO! Enjoy!

bradenton
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: piedras y olas or villa isabella

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. We are traveling as a family with our children who will be 9 and 13 years old at the time of our trip. I know several of the other recommended hotels do not accept children or children under 12 years old. I think we are leaning towards piedras y olas at the time and that darn infinity pool overlooking the bay has a lot to do with it!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
66 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: piedras y olas or villa isabella

Since you mentioned the children and their ages I would definately recommend Pelican Eyes due to their two pools. Otherwise I would say Villas due to the more local Nicaraguan experience. I have stayed both places and both are worth their prices for different reasons. Villas de Palermo also has a really nice pool and is located just up the hill from the town if you would like more privacy and lush landscape.

Have a wonderful trip!