We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed - Presque Isle without a car

Vasco Da Gama, Goa...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Advice needed - Presque Isle without a car

Hi all,

A friend of mine and I were planning to stay in Erie for a day or two, and we planned to visit Preque Isle State Park for a day. However, we don't have driving licenses for the USA hence wouldn't be able tor rent a car and drive.

We were thinking of getting a hotel near Presque Isle and then uber up to the entrance of the park. From somewhere there, we were hoping to get a bike and then tour around the island, and then check out some kayaking and boat cruise spots. And then in the evening, by around 4-5 pm, take an uber or something back to the city. I was curious to see how this plan sounded to those who might be familiar with the area. Are the distances within the park reasonable enough to travel over with a bike? Or do they have any shuttle buses or any tour companies that offer tours? (Google search didn't show anything to me).

We plan to check if there are any cab companies that could help us with a pre-booked cab, especially for the evening when we plan to return back as well, but overall, we were just curious to see everyone's thoughts on this plan. If anyone has any advice whatsoever on how a day trip in the Presque Isle park could be made feasible without a car, would be really grateful. Thank you very much!

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Advice needed - Presque Isle without a car

Hello there. I think the Uber idea is doable but not sure it's really what you may need here while visiting presque isle. Do you have anything else you want to see in Erie besides presque isle? There are a few hotels close to Presque Isle and close to a bike rental to ride bikes around. As an insider, without knowing your budget, here's a thought. Stay in downtown Erie, close to nightlife, fun, but to far to bike to Presque Isle. There's a water taxi service, that would take you to Presque Isle from downtown. It runs daily. Search presque isle water taxi. I have lots of other thoughts but need to know items such as the month you'll be here? Basic budget for lodging? I'm within biking distance of presque isle and it's a great place. Just need to know a few more details and I would be glad to help!

Vasco Da Gama, Goa...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Advice needed - Presque Isle without a car

Hi shaffersa, thank you so much for your response, appreciate it! We did later read about the water taxi and found that to be a great idea as well!

To answer your questions, we do plan to majorly just do some biking, kayaking etc in Presque Isle during the day. We plan to come back in the evening to Dobbins Landing, maybe the Water Taxi, and then do a sunset segway tour since the segway company seems to be located close by. Or, we might uber over to Waldameer Park from Presque Isle, still deciding. Our budget is around $120 or less per night, for hotel, but we are happy to spend $ on taxis/cabs if they can be booked in advance and can help us guarantee some peace of mind. We don't know if its always easy to find uber in Erie or not, or if the Water Taxi is always reliable.

Let me know what you think of our plan! Are there travelers who use the Water Taxi option and then tour around Presque Isle without a car? Are there any other hotels you know about in Downtown Erie and if there is public transport available (Ride the e maybe)? We saw that Avalon Hotel is a 20 min walk from Dobbins Landing and was not that expensive.

Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks so much!

Edited: 12 June 2016, 04:09
Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Advice needed - Presque Isle without a car

I think that sounds like a much better plan! The Avalon gets mixed reviews but my family has stayed there over the years when visiting and has had no problems. There is public transit in Erie. Search Erie pa emta. There is a free trolley that makes a loop around downtown and to Dobbins landing. It looks like the last water taxi is at six from presque isle. You can rent a bike on presque isle pretty close to where the water taxi drops you off. Uber is pretty reliable in Erie. Cab service not so much. I take Uber whenever I need to get home safely after drinking downtown. Erie is a great town. There are so many things to do here. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Advice needed - Presque Isle without a car

I can't say I know anyone that has taken the water taxi but it's very safe and I see it make trips daily to Presque Isle. I have a boat it's quite busy this time of year when I'm cruising around the bay and encounter it. It's worth taking because of convenience, plus just the beauty of being on the water as you cross from Dobbins landing to the Isle.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
285 reviews
5. Re: Advice needed - Presque Isle without a car

I would suggest staying that second day and visiting http://waldameer.com/ ;o)

Vasco Da Gama, Goa...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Advice needed - Presque Isle without a car

Hi shaffersa, thank you so much once again! For Presque Isle, do you suggest anything else, other than renting a bike from near the Water Taxi dropoff, doing a bike trail, going to the kayak rental place and do some kayaking? Any other activity that you may suggest there or all this sounds good? And strange question, but does the Presque Isle area have network reception (AT&T or T Mobile)? Weird thing to ask, but just curious to know, since we will be on our own and our bikes, and access to network reception / data would be very helpful in case we need to uber back and can't find a way via the Water Taxi. Thanks so much for your help!

Vasco Da Gama, Goa...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Advice needed - Presque Isle without a car

Hi SuperPoser, thank you! Waldameer is definitely on our list :).

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Advice needed - Presque Isle without a car

Hi There, I am excited for you to see our beautiful State Park.

I am local and was at Presque Isle about two weeks ago and had no problem getting good service on my cell phone from the beach -- AT&T is my provider.

Another option for something to do at Presque Isle... if the water taxi drops off by the Perry Monument, you will be very close to the kayak rentals at the Lagoons area of the Park. The Lagoons is an inland waterway with really flat water and great scenery -- this is a really peaceful and beautiful area where you can see many different types of birds like egrets, herons, ducks, etc. There is a kayak rental provider located right at the Lagoons. You could kayak for 1-2 hours and rent a bike/segway to see other parts of the park. Did anyone suggest how you would get to the bike/segway rental provider? The Yellow Bike Company (for bikes or segways) is located near the Waterworks area. Something to consider... the segway tours are guided. Do you want to explore on your own (i.e., bike?) or be part of a group tour with a guide (i.e., segway?).

Think about food and beverage too -- can you pack a sub and a drink? If not, there are some concession stands at the park.

Edited: 13 July 2016, 05:05
Vasco Da Gama, Goa...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: Advice needed - Presque Isle without a car

Hi lynneclement, thank you so much for your awesome reply! We already went to Erie and did exactly what you said, bike rentals, kayaking in the lagoons, segway tours.We wish we knew about the food or had planned for it, because there wasn't a full lunch place in the park and we were so starved after biking and kayaking and had nothing to eat that we brought along! But overall it was fun.

Thanks again for your reply, and hope you have a nice rest of the week!

10. Re: Advice needed - Presque Isle without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2017, 05:17