We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4th Weekend Crowds

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
124 reviews
July 4th Weekend Crowds

We are considering a trip down the coast from Cannon Beach to Crescent City, CA and our plan currently has us taking a break at Reedsport for two day over July 4th weekend. How crowded and busy is this area over the fourth of July in general?

15 replies to this topic
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,424 posts
143 reviews
1. Re: July 4th Weekend Crowds

Real crowded.

Be sure to tie down reservations all along the coast as soon as possible. Many of us make reservations the 5th of the previous year.

Best Wishes

MrsO

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: July 4th Weekend Crowds

The weekend around July 4 is typically the busiest of the year on the coast, but Reedsport doesn't have much tourist appeal, so I don't think you'll find the area very busy. However, that's not to say you won't have difficulty finding a site in a campground or RV park, so best make reservations ASAP if that's what you have in mind.

If you're not locked into Reedsport, I'd suggest you consider Bandon, an hour or so further south. Are you camping, or....?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,474 posts
1,111 reviews
3. Re: July 4th Weekend Crowds

On the contrary, Reedsport and neighbouring Winchester Bay are a big center for OHV enthusiasts and the area is pretty darn busy over 4th July weekend. It will not have the frantic, crowded, absolutely 'slammed' busy-ness of towns on the central and northern coast.

We're in Reedsport every couple of months so know it well. It is not high on visitors' lists of ideal Oregon coast towns, since it is slightly inland and is more of a down-to-earth working town rather than a frou-frou touristy type town, LOL ;-)

You don't mention anything about lodging. Are you planning on camping or staying in motels?

If you are RVing, Winchester Bay RV Park is the nicest RV park on the entire Oregon coast :-)

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
124 reviews
4. Re: July 4th Weekend Crowds

Thanks for the replies. We aren't camping. We'll be traveling with our family of five. I'll checkout Bandon. I appreciate that tip. We want to do an ATV ride on the dunes so I picked Reedsport because it's close to them and I was trying not to backtrack. But I do not want to stay in a dump either.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,474 posts
1,111 reviews
5. Re: July 4th Weekend Crowds

The only newish mid range motel in Reedsport is the Salbasgeon, which is quite decent but it's not a 'vacation' sort of location... does that make sense?

Bandon is an oceanfront town with an 'old town' (which isn't really that old!) , a marina, a little lighthouse and a long stretch of beautiful beach. It will also be quite busy but is just isolated enough that it shouldn't be jammed with visitors. Do book lodging well in advance though.

Check out Spinreel in North Bend. I think they do dune buggy tours:

http://www.ridetheoregondunes.com/

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: July 4th Weekend Crowds

The best places for dune buggy rides/tours are just south of Florence: http://www.sandland.com/ and http://www.sanddunesfrontier.com/ . And it's highly recommended that you take a tour rather rent an ATV. The dunes are huge and vast, and potentially dangerous if you don't the terrain. Plus you'll all have a lot more fun with an experienced driver, especially in a "rail"; better than any theme park thrill ride IMO.

But lodging choices around Florence are relatively limited, so you might also consider Yachats. It's one of the more recently popular coastal towns, and will be busy over the 4th, but it's a fun kind of busy with a community wide pancake breakfast in the morning, pie and ice cream social, la de da Parade and other festivities, followed by a fireworks display in the evening. We've celebrated the 4th in Yachats a couple times; it's a real kick in the pants.

Never been to Bandon over the 4th, but I'm sure you'd have a great time there too. Beaches south of town are some of the more spectacular on the Oregon coast, and the downtown itself is one of the more picturesque too. And if there are any golfers in the family.... My wife, who's lived in Oregon her entire life, just recently decided that Bandon is her favorite coastal town. Used to be Cannon Beach.

Whatever you decide, you should be making reservations as soon as possible.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
124 reviews
7. Re: July 4th Weekend Crowds

Thanks for the info!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
124 reviews
8. Re: July 4th Weekend Crowds

I'd like to try to get some perspective on 'crowded' My experience with crowded beaches is all on the Atlantic coast. Are you able to relate 'Oregon coast crowded' to "Atlantic coast crowded'?

My only other visit to the Oregon coast was in late September 20 or so years ago. At Cannon Beach, we might have seen 20 or 30 other people.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
200 reviews
9. Re: July 4th Weekend Crowds

In southern California they close some of the beaches at noon because they are full. Except for when the Portlanders hit the northern Oregon coast (especially Seaside and Cannon Beach) our definition of a "crowded" beach is pretty much what you experienced. Particularly in the often overcast mornings you can sometimes have miles of solitary beachcombing or strolling. The areas where ATVs are active can be a different matter though.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,474 posts
1,111 reviews
10. Re: July 4th Weekend Crowds

I've lived on the coast for many years, and things have changed in 20 years! July 4th is without question the busiest weekend of the year on the Oregon coast. Late September does not hold a candle to the July 4th visitors! I have nothing to compare to Atlantic coast, and coastal towns here will not have the same 'crowded' level as each other.

Newport, for example, has a full time population of about 10,000, plus influx from neighbouring smaller towns. On any given day in the summer, the population is probably closer to 20,000. On July 4th weekend, it's probably 30,000+. Long waits at the traffic lights on 101, waits for seating at restaurants, hundreds of people on the beach at any one time.

In a teeny town like Yachats (which has no traffic lights!) you'll have a wait for restaurant seating and you'll hunt for a parking place in town on the 4th. If you watch the la-de-dah parade, you'll see something on the order of 100 people in a 50 yard area along the route.

We live here on the central coast :-)

An added bonus of Yachats, though, is that the next town to the north, Waldport, has their fireworks display on the 3rd of July, so it's sort of a '2 for 1 deal', LOL.

Reply to: July 4th Weekend Crowds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Reedsport
More Reedsport Topics