We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to see the Dunes

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
275 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to see the Dunes

Best place to have an ATV tour of the dunes ( I don't want to drive one since I am not experienced), and which would be the best Dune area for beauty and walking a little?

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to see the Dunes

There really is no "best place". The entire 42 miles of the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area (ODNRA) is awe inspiring.

Having said that, Florence, on the northern edge of the ODNRA, has BY FAR the most motorized activity because one, it's closer to a larger population area (Eugene/Springfield) and two, there are more open areas to ride due to cause and effect..

There are 2 highly reputable service provider in the Florence area; Sanddunes Frontier and Sandland Adventures.

http://www.sanddunesfrontier.com/

http://www.sandland.com/

Just a few miles south of Florence on hwy 101, a large non-motorized section of teh dunes has been set aside for hikers, etc.

Edited: 17 February 2015, 13:58
Mentioned in this post
Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area
Oregon Dunes National...
248 Reviews
Reedsport, OR
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast, OR
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to see the Dunes

One of the best areas to see dunes on foot is "South Jetty" about 1/3 of a mile South of the big bridge at Florence. It is a $5 pay by envelope fee area.

About half way between Reedsport and Florence is what used to be labeled "Dunes Overlook" but is now marked on Hwy 101 as "Oregon Dunes Day Use" and is about a 1/2 mile South of the "200" mile post. It used to have a more expanded catwalk than at present and is less spectacular than in years past but is still worth a quick stop as it is a few yards off Hwy 101.

At the foot of the bridge in Florence is a Dairy Queen that actually has and interesting view of the river and dunes on the far bank. I actually frequent the place as I am fond of Blizzards but I also never get tired of the view from there

the view

Edited: 17 February 2015, 20:10
Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast, OR
Dairy Queen
Dairy Queen
21 Reviews
Reedsport, OR
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,341 posts
6,139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to see the Dunes

Good advise.

For the walk, Honeyman State Park is quite nice for that.

www.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm…

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g51867-d33…

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
153 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to see the Dunes

I second Honeyman State Park! Love it there and hiking up the big dunes by the lake and beyond is spectacular. They also have ATV rides just south of Honeyman that can take you out onto the Dunes on some pretty crazy, yet fun, rides!

Reply to: Best place to see the Dunes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Reedsport
More Reedsport Topics