We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I want to buy an atv or dune buggy

CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
I want to buy an atv or dune buggy

Can someone recommend a good, safe, inexpensive brand of dune buggy? My daughter is going to Jr. College near the dunes and I'd like to buy her something with a roll bar if possible.

Also, does anyone know if there are places near the dunes where she could store it during the week?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,470 posts
1,111 reviews
1. Re: I want to buy an atv or dune buggy

Hmm, this is a borderline "travel question", but which town are you referring to? The dunes stretch for about 40 miles or so. I might be able to help you with your storage question if I knew where she needed it stored.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
200 reviews
2. Re: I want to buy an atv or dune buggy

I have some doubts that good, safe and inexpensive are words that can be used when discussing dune buggies. Roll bar or not, these dunes are not for novices (we lose one or two each year!). Some of the dunes are 200-300 ft w/sheer dropoffs. And, in poor visibility it is very easy to get horribly lost in the dunes.

I know that our kids will do things whether we like them to or not...but I'd want to know my daughter was skilled before considering such a purchase.

CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
3. Re: I want to buy an atv or dune buggy

Thanks!

I haven't been there myself and was picturing small little mounds, like we have in CA. I may need to rethink.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: I want to buy an atv or dune buggy

There is miles of dunes that range from small bumps like you mentioned to the high ones others have mentioned. I agree cheap is not going to be a common word when looking at ATV's. The safety depends on her for the most part and also others. Many shops have riding classes. But she should be sure to go with others familiar with the dunes until she knows their hidden qwerks. And should always ride with a friend and a phone. A full cage type is a good choice. But you will pay more. If they have arm restraints and the riders use them it's probably the safest vehicle out there. There is a couple places that you can find them.

In Hauser a few miles North of North Bend (About 10 minutes from SOCC) is Tiger motor sports.

http://www.hausermotorplex.com/tiger%202.htm

In North Bend the is Parkers ATV. They sell new and used equipment. They had a nice looking older Honda Pilot out today. Full cage and it's probably 15 years old but may be a lot cheaper than something new.

http://www.parkersatv.com/

There are several other shops around but I think these two will be your best bet especially for something with a cage. And either of those places will most likely be your best bet on finding a storage facility. I don't know of any specifically for ATV's. There is many locked storage places and RV storage facilities around though. Find one with good security though. ATV's disappear around here frequently.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,371 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: I want to buy an atv or dune buggy

I just wanted to add more about safety. I have never ridden on the dunes but hubby did as part of a "team building" activity. It wasn't a pleasant experience for him. You need to hit the dunes at the correct speed. Too slow and you could flip backward, too fast and you might run into your buddy over the crest. Don't go up or down at the correct angle and you could be rolling down on your side.

If you want to spend money on this activity for her, pay for her and her friends to go with an outfitter. It's not a completely safe activity but it will be safer with someone in the know. Then they can all go out for ice cream at Dairy Queen.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,470 posts
1,111 reviews
6. Re: I want to buy an atv or dune buggy

>>...was picturing small little mounds, like we have in CA.<<

Err, you've not seen Dumont Dunes? Out of Barstow?

Spent many a weekend flying off the top of dunes way back when in my young and stupid days, LOL!

.....Would not do it now for love nor money ;-)

www.duneguide.com/images/DumontCompHill-3.jpg

7. Re: I want to buy an atv or dune buggy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2009, 05:35
Get answers to your questions about Reedsport