We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay at the Dunes?

New York, NY
3 posts
Save Topic
Best place to stay at the Dunes?

Me and my girlfriend are going cross country in 3 weeks! We are very excited to see the dunes, this will be the last leg of our journey to California (from NY).

We are looking for the best campsite to stay one night at the dunes... I heard that there is one, I think I read that Tahkenitch was a good one with trails leading through the dunes to the beach...

We want something as close to, and possibly amidst the dunes/beach...

Any suggestions or reviews of campsites?

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay at the Dunes?

Not sure what you mean by the dunes. But if you just mean simply a beach campsite. Up on the northern portion of the coast, I would check out Nehalem st. Park, another option is Ft. Stevens St. Park.

You can drive on the beach in Gearhart.

Mentioned in this post
Nehalem
Nehalem
Oregon Coast, OR
Gearhart
Gearhart
Oregon Coast, OR
New York, NY
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay at the Dunes?

Sorry about that, we are planning on staying at the Oregon Dunes National Recreation area... so somewhere between Heceta Beach and Bandon... Thanks for the info though!

Mentioned in this post
Bandon
Bandon
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay at the Dunes?

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying :)!

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay at the Dunes?

Tahkenitch would fit the bill- I've never been there but it is definetly in the dunes area. I think it is a standard small Forest Service campground

Also might think about Honeyman State Park-it is pretty large and lots of families come here(so that means its a little louder than other campgrounds, but has lots of ammentites if that is of interest), but it is walking distance to the dunes and lakes. The tent camping part of this park is in the trees and not in the dunes.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_134.php

The only campground I know of in that area that is really 'on the beach' is Beachside State Park http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_122.php

I know its pretty popular so reservations are a must. However it is north of Heceta Beach and not really in the dunes.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay at the Dunes?

A couple of other options are Umpqua Lighthouse and Wm Tugman State Parks. Both are just south of Reedsport.

If you decide on a state park, I urge you to make reservations. You can do so online from the above link chinookgrrrl listed or call 1-800-452-5687

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,016 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay at the Dunes?

Hope you will squeeze in Yachats and Cape Perpetua, to the south of Yachats. Too good to miss...

Mentioned in this post
Yachats
Yachats
Oregon Coast, OR
New York, NY
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay at the Dunes?

whoa, thanks everyone, tons of info here! What a great site this is and I will definitely be using it for any trip in the future!

We will be staying in yachats and then Cape Perpetua as well, prior to this.... I can't wait!

Thanks again everyone... this is the last leg of the trip for us and we are just about finished planning... nothing like a little last minute planning!

8. Re: Best place to stay at the Dunes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Reedsport
More Reedsport Topics