We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need itinerary advice

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
Need itinerary advice

Hi, First time driving the OR coast and I’m wondering if this itinerary is doable. Mon - Mt St Helens and then drive to Astoria OR for the night. Tue - Cannon Beach for the night. Wed - Newport OR for the night. I need to return to Seattle by Friday evening. I’m not sure if I should start heading north on Thursday or explore some more and then hit the highway for the trip back to Seattle on Friday. Suggestions for Thursday night are welcome. I’m traveling in July.

7 replies to this topic
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,478 posts
1,111 reviews
1. Re: Need itinerary advice

You're starting in Seattle? Mt St Helens takes about an hour/hour plus to get to the Johnston Ridge VC from I-5. Allow 1-2 hours there, then the drive back, plus maybe a stop at the Forest Center. So figure at least a half day.

Astoria is an easy drive from I-5 at Castle Rock. Take WA Hwy 4. Depending upon your timing, you can catch the ferry at Cathlamet over to Oregon. It's a fun little ride and the last of the Columbia River ferries. Astoria is on the river, not ocean but has lots to do and see.

I'm assuming you have not booked any lodging yet?

Cannon Beach is a problem. For two reasons-- it's one of the busiest towns on the coast, and nearly all lodging requires a minimum stay of at least two nights. It's also only a half hour or so from Astoria.

Maybe stay two nights in Astoria, or two in Cannon Beach (if you can find lodging). Another idea might be one night in Astoria, then a night in Manzanita or maybe even Wheeler.

Newport -- I might suggest two nights here. There is a lot to do and see, and it's an easy drive south to Heceta Head lighthouse. (Interior closed in July, but a beautiful location)

Newport to Seattle is about 6-7 hours no matter which route you choose to take.

United States
Level Contributor
447 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Need itinerary advice

We just did the Oregon Coast. We split our stay between Cannon Beach and Newport (Nye Beach). Astoria and Cannon Beach are fairly close so I'd pick one or the other..not both. I'd pick Cannon Beach over Astoria but definitely visit both. Are you going THIS July? Reservations could be hard to get on short notice and some places require minimun night stays.

The resident experts will chime in soon. Utilize their advice. We planned our trip using many of their suggestions and had an AMAZING trip!!

Edited: 11 July 2018, 04:59
United States
Level Contributor
447 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Need itinerary advice

Ahh...half-Brit was quickly typing at the same time!! Always offering GREAT advice!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Need itinerary advice

Thanks to you both! I was only able to find lodging in Cannon for 1 night (Surfsand/Tuesday). If something opens up I’ll switch Monday to Cannon. Based on your notes, I’m going to see if I can add another night to my reservation at Hallmark in Newport. Thanks so much!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Need itinerary advice

Yes, I’m starting in Seattle. I’m going to stay Sunday night around Olympia so it’s less of a drive to mt st Helens.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,861 posts
102 reviews
6. Re: Need itinerary advice

You lucked out, The Surfsand is excellent! That has been our go to spot for decades!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
17 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Need itinerary advice

Thanks! That’s good to hear.

Reply to: Need itinerary advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newport
More Newport Topics