We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Days in La Grande

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
8 Days in La Grande

We're planning 8 days in Union County this month between the 22nd and 30th. Although I've been there many times, I've never really spent more than 12 hours in that town. Does anyone have any idea what to do for 8 whole days?

I mean, obviously I've checked out visitlagrande.com, but I'm wondering if anyone here has spent any extended time out there.

The only thing that's a definite on our calendar so far is the Huckleberry Festival in North Powder. They say anyone can enter the dessert contest, so got any recipe ideas?

Hot Lake Springs
History Museums, Spas
Blue Mountain Outfitters
Gift & Speciality Shops
Antiques on Adams
Antique Stores, Gift & Speciality Shops
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Days in La Grande

Why 8 days? Is someone working there?

I spent one full summer in La Grande working and parts of two others as my mother went to school.

If I could have retired to E Oreg, probably would have been La Grande, though John Day may have been first.

several nice short trips, to Mt Emily to look down into the valley , out to Ukiah along Grande Ronde River, Wallowa Valley and Enterprise can be a long day. And Baker City with Oregon Trail Center is good day. Umatilla Indian Museum near Pendleton is very nice.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Days in La Grande

"Why 8 days?"

Northeastern Oregon is the only section of the state I haven't shown to my wife yet, and La Grande seems like a good home base to explore the Wallowas. I've no doubt that she's going to fall in love with that corner. Actually, I'm secretly trying to convince my wife that we should invest heavily in lottery tickets so we can retire to a 30-acre farm outside of Enterprise and grow sorghum and raise fainting goats or something.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Days in La Grande

Well oregone, you've obviously already have in mind what I was gonna suggest: Visit Enterprise/Joseph! Also, the Hells Canyon Scenic Byway is a BEAUTIFUL, albeit slow, drive. It's especially worth it if you take the short side trip off of hwy 86 to Oxbow near the rim of Hell's Canyon.

On your way to North Powder, don't forget to stop at the US Bank on Main Street in Baker City to see the HUGE gold nugget on display! That thing weighs in at over 5 pounds!! And since you'll be in the general area, the Sumptner Dredge is an interesting piece of Oregon history.

I'm not positive if it's still running (haven't been in that neck of the woods for a little over two years) but the Sumptner Narrow Guage Railroad offers scenic tours of the area and actually makes a stop at the Sumptner Dredge State Park. We loved it!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 Days in La Grande

I have spent extended time out there, but, unfortunately, it has been for work so I have never gotten a chance to really explore the area much.

There is a great mexican food restaurant on the main drag in Island City, past the Wal Mart, I can't recall the name though. I eat there every time I am in town. Foley Station downtown had great food, but it is a bit spendy. There is a chinese food place a couple of doors down that has pretty good food. I went and got a sub just about every day from the sub place, right next to the natural foods store downtown.

Other than eating, I haven't gotten a chance to do much, as I am generally working long days when I am out there, and am with coworkers who are in a hurry to get home on Friday and don't want to stay and hang out. Everyone kept telling me I need to come back and ride the tram up at Wallowa Lake. I would also go to Joseph too if given a glimmer of a chance.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 Days in La Grande

Ok got why 8 days but maybe you should move. I could easy spend 4 days in Enterprise.

Drive to Imnaha and out to Hell canyon along lower imnaha River, day out to Wallowa Lake and hike into Wilderness from there, Day up the Lostine River from Lostine and hike from there

Then head for Baker City along Hells Canyon SB, Stop at McGraw or similar name lookout at Hells Canyon then to Oxbow Dam and on to Baker

n

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 Days in La Grande

8 days in laGrande seems like a long visit. :) We were in the Pendelton/LaGrande area for Memorial Day Weekend. The side trip to the Wallowa area was beautiful.

There was a fire station museum that we wanted to visit but it was closed on the day we were in LaGrande.

Perhaps you can combine your trip with some sight seeing in Pendelton as well.

7. Re: 8 Days in La Grande

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about La Grande