We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need info on Beaverton

Which Beaverton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
Save Topic
Need info on Beaverton

Going to Beaverton in early March with group of families with teens. Need recommendation for hotels, restaurants and things to do close to area. Going there for competition so will have to do things near by.

Roadrunner

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need info on Beaverton

Where's the competition to be held, and how close is "near by"? Beaverton isn't that big population-wise, but it's spread out geographically. You might even consider staying in downtown Portland.

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need info on Beaverton

Roadrunner,

Mistletoe is correct, Beaverton is very spread out so the location of competition would be helpful. I am going to point you to a couple of "neighborhoods" I am familiar with that might give you a starting point.

In the "Cedar Hills" area- located off Hwy 26 (aka Sunset Hwy) at Cedar Hills Blvd and Walker Rd-there is a large retail district that contains a multitude of restaurants and stores including a branch of the well-known Powell's Books. Also in that area is a YMCA and a bowling alley. I can't recall lodging opportunities in the immediate vicinity, however.

The next would be further west, toward Hillsboro, at around 156th St. and Walker Road (on a map you would use the Cornell Road exit off Hwy.26). Here, there is a large corporate park that has at least 3 hotels within it (Hilton Garden, a Marriott of some genre and another which escapes me at the moment) and this is adjacent to a HUGE county recreation facility that includes a gym and an aquatics center,et al. There are several dining options nearby including fast food as well as "sit down" places and a seemingly popular and very large pizza parlor.

I don't know too much about the east side of Beaverton, but hopefully this will help you get started.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need info on Beaverton

Competition in vicinity of SW Wallar Rd. There are a group of hotels within a mile - Fairview, Garden Inn, etc. - just wondering which is the best and quietest as kids need to get sleep to be on deck often at 6:30am. Thanks, Roadrunner

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need info on Beaverton

Correction - Walker road and the aquatics center you mentioned is where it will take place. Thanks

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,387 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need info on Beaverton

The Tualatin Hills Rec Center is the name of the place, and as mentioned has a lot of stuff right around there. Our kids have had various games held there while I have never paid attention to hotels nearby, there are loads of places to grab a bite to eat. Many within walking distance. There is a Fred Meyer right across the street, which is the PNW version of a Walmart (but nice, lol). It has a grocery store with a deli, so often the kids will head over there to grab something. It is in a strip mall with more options.

One place for dinner that is good with groups, especially with hungry teens, is Nonna Emilias. It is an Italian place out on Canyon (aka HWY 8 aka Tualatin Valley HWY) and 170th, so not all that far from Walker and 158th. Large portions, but great with groups. Pizza, calzones, etc. I would suggest calling ahead for a group. It is very easy to find and has been around for many years.

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need info on Beaverton

Great, then I can help you some.

The hotels are located on a cul-de-sac in the office park and they are a Marriott, a Hilton and a Fairfield. I checked these out for our family reunion last summer. They have some suites, but the suites are the "half-wall divider between the sleeping area and open space" type of room. The Marriott and the Hilton were nice, but in my opinion the Fairfield had some issues as I noticed sooty mold along the window in the room they showed me and there were water spots on the ceiling in the lobby. Now, that was a year ago so those things may well have been resolved by now. About a mile and a half to 2 miles west of this location, in the town of Hillsboro but still very close to your competition venue are several more hotels including a Marriot Residence Inn, another Hilton Garden and a bit further to the south 2 Extended Stay Americas. The Residence in has "real" suites with separate rooms for sleeping, each bedroom having its own bath.

Back to the office park location, there is an Elmer's Restaurant which is similar to a Shoney's but a little nicer right at the "neck" of the cul-de-sac where the hotels are located which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. I think they open early, but don't quote me. Closer to the Rec. Center is a shopping center with a Chinese Buffet place ( I think its called Summit View), several sandwich shops, a bagel shop and as Mtngrl said, the Fred Meyer is across the street and has a deli and any sort of "stuff" one might find at Wal-Mart. They also have a Cinnabon (YUMMM).

Nonna Emelia's is a terrific dinner suggestion- they aren't far from the Rec. Center and the portions are ENORMOUS at a very good price. They only take reservations for groups of 10 or more, and it is a good idea to make them- especially if you're there on a weekend night.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
164 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need info on Beaverton

You've gotten lots of ideas for places to stay and eat near the Aquatic/Rec Center, but not many ideas of "things to do". That will give you an indication of the relative lack of activities in the immediate vicinity.

Teens might think the Oregon Zoo would be for littler kids, but I think once there they would enjoy it. It's a large, very well done zoo, and would not be a long drive from the area near Rec Center. Check the website for hours to see how late they would be open. Other sites near the zoo are Washington Park with the International Rose Test Gardens (but probably not much in bloom in March), World Forestry Center (not recommended for teens), Childrens Museum (ditto).

If you head to downtown Portland, which would not be much farther east from Beaverton, there is LOTS to do. See other threads on the Oregon/Portland forums for a multitude of ideas downtown.

This isn't an activity, but I thought I'd point out that there's a Costco just down 158th from the Rec Center (heading south). If you're a member you might want to stock up there on breakfast pastries, drinks, and snacks (to carbo-load the kids for competition).

Good luck to the teens in the competition!

-- Meg

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need info on Beaverton

If any of you are shoppers, Steets of Tanasbourne is close by. There are several places there to grab a bite. Couple good choices at Cedar Hills Crossing, too. McGrath's Fish House and Bugatti's come to mind as particularly good for families.

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need info on Beaverton

Hi again.

As you can see, the town of Beaverton isn't exactly overloaded with things to do- especially for the teen set. Sorry about that...but if you have the time to head to Portland, you will find many options; its just that you said you'd like to be near your activity venue and its a good 20 minutes to Portland from there.

Back to my original reply, however...

I mentioned the "Cedar Hills" area, which has the Cedar Hills Crossing shopping center. That would be easy to get to from the Aquatic Center on Walker Road as you only need to turn left on Walker and head to Cedar Hills Blvd which is - guessing- 3-4 miles, max. In that complex ( multiple strip-mall type shops concentrated in several blocks) there are a bowling alley and a 12-plex movie theater that I know of. Shopping ops certainly abound there if your group is into that type of "fun", as well.

There are other things to do that the age might enjoy, but they are pretty much as far as you can get on the opposite side of Beaverton without being in Portland or Tigard. There is a rock climbing gym and there is one of those go-cart places...I think that Mtngrl mentioned it- but I would not call that close to your competition.

And you may not want anyone participating in "risky" fun like rock climbing if you're here for a competitive event, anyway.

That's all I know, and then some..:) Footloose signing out.....

10. Re: Need info on Beaverton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Beaverton