We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls to increase next year, cashless tolls coming soon.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
167 posts
13 reviews
Tolls to increase next year, cashless tolls coming soon.

For the benefit of those who will be coming into the state in the near future and if your route involves toll roads, its going to to get more costlier (somewhat). Starting in Jan of '18 the tolls will go up by 2.5 percent. That means a trip to Oklahoma City on the Turner Tpk or the Will Rogers Tpk east of Tulsa will increase from $4.50 to $4.75 (if using cash), though it will be cheaper if you have a Pike Pass or a Toll Tag (TX). Unfortunately it will go up again on July of 2019.

In the near future, toll roads throughout the state will go "all electronic tolling", meaning that there will be "no manned toll booths" to take cash. Taking its place will be gantries that will take a picture of the license plate and will mail the fee to the driver (at a higher rate). Its the same system being use in the Dallas area and in most states. Speaking of unmanned toll booths, there are two in the OKC area. They are the Kilpatrick Tpk and the H.E. Bailey Tpk (Norman) Spur. There are change dispensers at the gate.

8 replies to this topic
Fort Worth, Texas
2 posts
1. Re: Tolls to increase next year, cashless tolls coming soon.

I actually prefer using the turnpike system in Oklahoma. I can get to Branson from Fort Worth using 44 to Lake Heifner Pkwy to Kilpatrick east to Turner, Creek around Tulsa to Springfield bypass, down 65) in about 7.0 hrs including a stop for gas and dog walks using a TollTag from Texas. Am I happy about the tolls, no, but try driving all the tollways and turnpikes in the DFW area, you can spend upwards of 15 dollars for your ride home, depending on if you take the express lanes or more than one toll road. Incidentally, the express lanes are variably priced meaning the heavier the traffic in the main lanes the higher the price in the express lanes. So, if you work downtown Dallas, and use the tollways and express lanes, by the time you add tolls and parking, you are looking towards 35-40 bucks a day. So 15 ish bucks to scoot the entire state from Randlett, OK to Joplin Mo, in about 5 hrs is worth it. (We go thru Wichita Falls instead of Ardmore to cross river, its 50 miles longer but same travel time speed limit 75) Toll Tags, TXTag, Pike Pass KTag cover every toll road in Texas Oklahoma and Kansas. Just waiting for Illinois to extend the interoperability agreement to Oklahoma and then I can close Pike Pass, Sun Pass and IPass. However those 4 tags, cover 90% of tolled roads from Texas to Maine, and if you travel like we do, there is no way I would be without them. The new sticker tags just laminate them, and slide up above rear view mirror if you dont use it all the time, or have to change tolling areas. Using 69 to Big Cabin is too slow of a route. Get used to it, you will need some kind of RFID reader in future to drive toll roads.

Fort Worth, Texas
2 posts
2. Re: Tolls to increase next year, cashless tolls coming soon.

I actually prefer using the turnpike system in Oklahoma. I can get to Branson from Fort Worth using 44 to Lake Heifner Pkwy to Kilpatrick east to Turner, Creek around Tulsa to Springfield bypass, down 65) in about 7.0 hrs including a stop for gas and dog walks using a TollTag from Texas. Am I happy about the tolls, no, but try driving all the tollways and turnpikes in the DFW area, you can spend upwards of 15 dollars for your ride home, depending on if you take the express lanes or more than one toll road. Incidentally, the express lanes are variably priced meaning the heavier the traffic in the main lanes the higher the price in the express lanes. So, if you work downtown Dallas, and use the tollways and express lanes, by the time you add tolls and parking, you are looking towards 35-40 bucks a day. So 15 ish bucks to scoot the entire state from Randlett, OK to Joplin Mo, in about 5 hrs is worth it. (We go thru Wichita Falls instead of Ardmore to cross river, its 50 miles longer but same travel time speed limit 75) Toll Tags, TXTag, Pike Pass KTag cover every toll road in Texas Oklahoma and Kansas. Just waiting for Illinois to extend the interoperability agreement to Oklahoma and then I can close Pike Pass, Sun Pass and IPass. However those 4 tags, cover 90% of tolled roads from Texas to Maine, and if you travel like we do, there is no way I would be without them. The new sticker tags just laminate them, and slide up above rear view mirror if you dont use it all the time, or have to change tolling areas. Using 69 to Big Cabin is too slow of a route. Get used to it, you will need some kind of RFID reader in future to drive toll roads.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
224 reviews
3. Re: Tolls to increase next year, cashless tolls coming soon.

A bit late to the party, but where did you get the information on no manned toll booths?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
167 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Tolls to increase next year, cashless tolls coming soon.

I have on most occasions driven on the roads in OKC that are not manned so the only options are using PikePass (OK), TollTag (TX) or K-Tag (KS) or pay with coins. As for the all electronic tolling, I heard it through word of mouth as well as the website (https://www.platepay.com/).

Currently, it is not available system wide as of today; only the Elm st. interchange on the Creek Tpk in Jenks, Ok. That interchange is being used as a pilot study. The cost is more expensive when using platepay ($1.60 vs 0.75 when using PikePass). Its unknown at this time on when it will launch statewide.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Tolls to increase next year, cashless tolls coming soon.

It is good to hear that in Oklahoma you have interoperability for road tolls, and that a few accounts or tags cover almost anywhere. The UK has one toll road - 40c (US) per mile for cars, and many toll tunnels and bridges, but there are many different owners and there is no interoperability. I think the UK has something to learn from you.

Cashless toll collection is coming here with a vengeance ever since the government changed the vehicle tax to a pollution tax and now they think it is OK for companies to charge tolls for critical roads and bridges.

Should you be campaigning for a Federal Tag that covers everything and divides the collected money up according to miles travelled on a toll road?

Danville, Alabama...
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
6. Re: Tolls to increase next year, cashless tolls coming soon.

I don't have much experience with tolls. I will be driving from I-40 to Muskogee, then Tulsa as a shortcut to I-35. Anyone have knowledge of this route as far as cost? Is it worth doing?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
73 reviews
7. Re: Tolls to increase next year, cashless tolls coming soon.

I found this app available to calculate tolls. Never tried it and have a Pikepass so have no idea how much those folks would be, but I can’t imagine them being much. They’re worth driving to me because you miss the traffic lights and traffic moves faster unless in construction zones.

https://www.sixt.com/toll-roads/usa/oklahoma/

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
167 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Tolls to increase next year, cashless tolls coming soon.

It cost 3.50 to drive the entire length of the Muskogee Tpk and 3.75 to drive the Cimarron Tpk. Both toll roads have two toll booths to stop; one south of Muskogee and another at SH 51 Coweta exit on the Muskogee tpk, the Cimarron tpk has a booth at Hallet exit and at US 177. The total cost is around 7.25. They also have gas stations and a restaurant (McDonald's unfortunately). It is wise to take advantage of them, especially gas because it can be hard to find a gas station in some cases. There is some in the small towns, but if you try to exit and reenter the highway you will have to pay the toll in some cases. When approaching the toll booths there are various lanes that you need to be aware of; one is for PikePass account holders and the rest is for either paying with cash or by exact change only.

Hope this helps.

Reply to: Tolls to increase next year, cashless tolls coming soon.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oklahoma City