We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to base ourselves ?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Where to base ourselves ?

Hi, I will be travelling with my husband and 5 children and would like to stay near cradle mountain for 3 nights. Was wondering if there is enough walks to do that suite ages 10 and up ? Is Deloraine to far out of the way ? Is Sheffield a better base ? or should we stay close to Cradle Mountain ? Will be going onto Strahan afterwards and will be coming from Launceston.

Mentioned in this post
Cradle Mountain
Cradle Mountain
864 Reviews
Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park, Australia
Strahan
Strahan
Tasmania, Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,429 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to base ourselves ?

http://www.cradlehighlander.com.au

Those guys are right inside the park. I had a quick look around in July. The accom seems fairly basic (it was closed while we were there) but it would probably suit 7 of you. Just one night if you stayed in Sheffield or deloraine before or after could easily give you 2 very full days

Of course if your budget is unlimited look at peppers....

What else do you want to do in the area.

My suggestion would be night one Sheffield late in the afternoon, night 2 up the mountian, night 3 back at Sheffield. Or if you discover one day is enough you could head further down.

I of course defer to rob who is the cradle mountian king.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,166 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to base ourselves ?

You need a place with an address in Cradle Mountain Road to be handy to Cradle Mountain. The one GW has given is a good option.

However, you may run out of things to do before three days pass. I would look at spending only one or two nights there and the extra time somewhere else on the north west coast. Where you stay would depend on what you want to see and do. Have a look at Stanley and the Tarkine. It's not much of a detour if you're heading to Strahan.

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Cradle Mountain
Cradle Mountain
864 Reviews
Strahan
Strahan
Tasmania, Australia
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,746 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to base ourselves ?

Hi,

As GW has pointed out, there's quite a variety, and as usual that depends on your budget.

I would recommend you stay as to close to Cradle Mountain if your budget allows. If you stay away from Cradle the winding roads can be a bit much after awhile, trust me I drive them nearly every day. I would recommend a couple of nights at Cradle Mountain, there's plenty of walks for all ages, but 2 nights would be enough.

I also like Cradle Mountain Wilderness Village, this place will be a bit of a stretch with 5 children.

Highlanders is a very good choice, will be a stretch as well.

Peppers Lodge Cabins, this is also a stretch with 7. It's my favourite, that's because I like their breakfast, and the cabins in the bush which are our preference, but they are rustic, and most are adjoining, but they're not cheap.

Cradle Mountain Hotel, (originally Cradle Mountain Chateau, why change to hotel I understand), is very nice, great gallery, very good restaurant, but IMO the rooms are noisy, lack of thought in the building process, but still a nice hotel, they do pump out good deals every now and then, even for larger groups.

If your budget is a bit tight, have a look at Cradle Mountain Discovery Holiday Park -

discoveryholidayparks.com.au/tas/cradle_moun…

But one that is popular, and can accommodate your tribe, but you will need to have an open mind, and a love of no phone service. the love of quiet, great position and If you take a couple of really good torches, you can go for own night walks, the wildlife is amazing, they're called Waldheim Cabins, open mind means very, very basic, and they are the only visitor accommodation inside the National Park -

www.parks.tas.gov.au/indeX.aspX?base=412#cr

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 25 September 2014, 23:58
Mentioned in this post
Cradle Mountain
Cradle Mountain
864 Reviews
Cradle Mountain Wilderness Village
Cradle Mountain...
880 Reviews
Cradle Mountain Hotel
Cradle Mountain Hotel
1,123 Reviews
Waldheim Cabins
Waldheim Cabins
31 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,429 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to base ourselves ?

Ah…. that was the one I looked at….ooopssss.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,746 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to base ourselves ?

GW, I had a feeling you were thinking of Waldheim. A friend of ours who has more money than he knows what to do with, spends a week in those cabins every year. I love it when he comes down, we get a free full on dinner at the Lodges Highland Restaurant with any wine from their cellar, and he loves expensive wine, I'm just glad our return favour is a nights stay with us :o)

Mentioned in this post
Highland Restaurant
Highland Restaurant
338 Reviews
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to base ourselves ?

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will now get back to the researching on rates and cut back our stay to two nights not three :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to base ourselves ?

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will now get back to the researching on rates and cut back our stay to two nights not three :)

Oz
Level Contributor
14,506 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to base ourselves ?

Hi,

Stick with the number of nights and cut back on the number of children would be the way to go IMHO.

Cheers,

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to base ourselves ?

Do you want to buy them ?

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,746 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to base ourselves ?

Funny thing OZ, when I put 2 nights, I thought OZ will be on here soon saying don't cut Cradle Mt back, you didn't disappoint me. tarsh no need to sell your rug rats, OZ will babysit for no cost, he's got nothing else to do :o)

Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...