We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cradle mountain with a one-year old and accomodations

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
Cradle mountain with a one-year old and accomodations

Good evening lovely people. Is cradle mountain a must visit attraction in Tasmania? Is it toddler-friendly? Thank you. How long is the drive to Swansea from there?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,950 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Cradle mountain with a one-year old and accomodations

Cradle Mountain is worth visiting, but it depends on how much time you have and whether you will be nearby. It's about 2.5 hours drive from Launceston. It may be best to stay overnight rather than driving there and back with a baby.

It's 5 hours drive from cradle Mountain to Swansea.

I' understand that your one-year-old is not walking yet. What does "toddler friendly" mean in the context of a mountain?

Luigi

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,775 posts
277 reviews
2. Re: Cradle mountain with a one-year old and accomodations

HI,

It's well worth the effort, and if you're coming in December it will be getting busy.

Will your baby be carried in a backpack carrier or hip carried, if hip carried you could do some of the walk, I would not recommend you go to far, some parts of the Dove Lake track can get steep, if backpacked you could go further but with care, but in the end that's your decision how far you go.

And as Luigi said it's a very solid drive to Swansea, but many do it, and if you take your time, and being December you have 15 hours of daylight driving time, this gives you ample time to drive there and stop frequently.

Safe travels - Robert

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,203 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Cradle mountain with a one-year old and accomodations

Hi LubashaHK. In August you said you >>don't want to do too much driving<< and now you ask is Cradle Mountain a >>must visit attraction<<.

It would help if we knew your overall draft itinerary rather then just the fact that you want your next stop to be Swansea. If you had returned to your Tasmania itinerary thread and evolved it rather than posting multiple separate follow-up questions it would be clearer to see what you are trying to do and suggest how to achieve an itinerary that does that for you.

But the short answer IMO is to skip Cradle Mountain and I'll explain why it seems that way to me now. Perhaps on further discussion it will change. But here's why.

Cradle Mountain is somewhat of a detour. There is no road in and different road out. Even if it is logically on a circle of the island there is some backtracking. If the trip is a one way then it tends to be an even bigger detour.

I'm not sure what you mean by attraction or by toddler friendly. It is a national park. It is nature. It is wilderness. It is bushwalking. But if you have been researching your trip for a while now and still have to ask whether it is a must then it sounds as if it does not really inspire you. It is also weather dependent, cloud can obscure the mountain. If you are happy to wait if necessary until the cloud lifts, if you are happy to put on rain ponchos and get out there and go walking, then it's a great family friendly destination. If you're simply working your way through a list of things you think you are supposed to see and you make the long drive and find yourselves indoors wondering what else there is to do, you'll be disappointed. Cradle Mountain can be a great family friendly destination well worth the effort to get there. And it can be a boring disappointment. I've experienced both. First visit was a day trip, long drive, bad weather, mountain was visible but photos came out poorly, it was okay but not a highlight of that holiday. But being keen bushwalkers we included it on our recent visit and allowed more time and it was wonderful. Significant thing was we enjoy bushwalking and we KNEW for us it was worth a second try.

It really is about matching your needs and expectations correctly.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,787 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Cradle mountain with a one-year old and accomodations

Hi,

>>Is cradle mountain a must visit attraction in Tasmania?<<

YES!

>> Is it toddler-friendly?<<

YES! It has been weeks since the Sarcophilus harrisii (Luigi's avatar) last ate a toddler at Cradle Mountain. This may be attributed to the facial tumour disease causing a drop in numbers or drop bear predation.

>>How long is the drive to Swansea from there?<<

Which Swansea?

https://www.google.com.au/maps

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,563 posts
204 reviews
5. Re: Cradle mountain with a one-year old and accomodations

Oz you are very naughty

Toddler friendly. Ummmmm. It's a national park with bush walks. No it doesn't. Have stroller/ pram friendly walks a la botanic garden in Hk with a pool in the centre. There are no playgrounds, limited and. Very expensive child minding,

Having been there a few times it would not be on my list to go with a little one unless it was mine who was perfectly happy to sit in the back pack for. 3 or 4 hours and take in the scenery or snooze while guru and I did our thing...

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
113 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Cradle mountain with a one-year old and accomodations

Thank you everyone for taking your time to respond. I read all your comments, I promise. Maybe it's best to skip Cradle Mountain then - a 5-hour drive seems too long with a little one. We do enjoy hiking, and we'll have a hiking carrier with us. It's our first road trip with our baby boy, so we have no idea how he is going to take a long ride in a car; we don't own a car in Hong Kong, and even when taking taxis, we never have to go for longer than 20 minutes. We wanted to visit Tasmazia, seems like it would be fun, so we figured 40 minutes more, and we are at Cradle Mountain.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,950 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: Cradle mountain with a one-year old and accomodations

If your baby is only one and not yet walking, I don't think he/she will get anything out of Tasmazia yet. I would plan on going to places that YOU want to go to and just take the baby along with you.

8. Re: Cradle mountain with a one-year old and accomodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...