We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cradle Mountain or Milford Sound which is more difficult

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Cradle Mountain or Milford Sound which is more difficult

Hi,

Has anyone done both the Cradle Mountain walk and the Milford Sound walk and can tell me which is the more difficult?

Edited: 06 July 2014, 04:21
Oz
Level Contributor
14,515 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cradle Mountain or Milford Sound which is more difficult

Hi,

Yes I have. With a reasonable level of fitness and the proper equipment neither are difficult. The weather can be interesting at either location but there are far more difficult tracks and climbs around.

Good grief these days you can even have quides carry your gear from hut to hut so all you need to carry is a day pack.

Cheers,

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cradle Mountain or Milford Sound which is more difficult

Thanks Orcflyer.

Yes, I intend to take the champagne tour : )

I just want to do them in order of fitness level because I want to do them before I am too old to do them.

If they both require the same level of fitness we will fit them in according to the best months to do them.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,142 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cradle Mountain or Milford Sound which is more difficult

I don't know about your age and/or fitness level, but I have seen walkers on both tracks who are well into their 70s.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cradle Mountain or Milford Sound which is more difficult

I am 55. Have been sick. Am going to get fit again. Just planning the next 20 years holidays ahead of time : )

I have seen some of those fit 70 year olds - they leave me for dead but I am determined to be one of them one day.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,142 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cradle Mountain or Milford Sound which is more difficult

You go, girl!!!

Nothing like a long distance walk to get your fitness levels up. When you get up in the morning there's nothing to do all day but walk.

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cradle Mountain or Milford Sound which is more difficult

Cradle Mountain is more difficult than Milford Sound to walk. Both are stunningly beautiful in their own rights, but having walked the Overland Track twice and Milford Track in 2011, I'd have to pick the Milford sound as the scenery pips Cradle Mountain. The stunning scenery on the Overland track diminishes as the trip goes on.

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cradle Mountain or Milford Sound which is more difficult

Agree with earlier post neither are overly difficult. The Overland Track probably is slightly more difficult than the Milford track. Both have unpredictable weather. I did a guided walk of Milford (only because I couldn't get on as a freedom walker) Both have spectacular views but IMHO Milford pips the Overland in this respect. The veiws and scenery on the Overland track diminish as in the last 2 days. Having said that I'm walking it again for the 3rd time in December.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cradle Mountain or Milford Sound which is more difficult

Jamie C

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

We are going to do both. Just working out which to do first.

So looks like we'll do the Overland Track first.

I've bought my boots and they are very, very comfy. Both will be a breeze, with my new boots : )

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,454 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cradle Mountain or Milford Sound which is more difficult

I walked Milford in my mid 20s (independent) and it was the most challenging walk i have ever done (including Dhaulaghiri South Face in Nepal) because the weather was totally horrendous and we had 140kmh winds and 8 inches (yep inches) of rain in 24 hours as we walked the pass.

I've only done segments of the overland (some almost 30 years ago) but IMHO nothing will ever compare with how hard Milford was…

the weather was the key and we walked in mid Jan so it was premium time

Both walks are similar… its the weather that can bring you unstuck

Milford is a bit more "bucket list" so book well ahead

10. Re: Cradle Mountain or Milford Sound which is more difficult

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...