We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family motorhome adventure

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Family motorhome adventure

Hello Tassie experts

we are coming to visit you in late Sept and have hired a motorhome for the full family bonding experience (2 girls age 6 and 8).

Coming to fully understand how big this van may be and how driving it around may not be as easy as we thought, I have opted for an itinerary which involves:

fly to Hobart, pick up van, buy some food. Drive directly to Freycinet NP where I have booked a powered site at Richardsons (?sp) beach for 3 nights. Have fun at Freycinet, relax, cruise to see dolphins and cool dog.

Big drive to Crade Mountain via shops for more food, where I have booked 3 nights at Discovery for more fun, walks, wildlife, weather dependent hikes.

Then we need to head back to Hobart to return the van and have a couple of days in Hobart.

But there is one more night in the van between Cradle Mtn and Hobart where I was hoping to stop somewhere en route to break the drive, it seems too long a driving day.

Questions:

I have been to Tas before and understand that distance does not necessarily equal driving time due to single lane roads and bends. Which is the best and hopefully scenic driving route to take back to Hobart that does not involve two carsick children and a queue of angry locals trying to overtake us?

And secondly, on the best route, what can you suggest as a nice spot to stop for the night?

Many thanks and can I also say thanks so much for all the helpful forum tips you guys have really helped me planning this trip

Kirsten

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
11. Re: Family motorhome adventure

Thanks Bruce that's great advice.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,805 posts
50 reviews
12. Re: Family motorhome adventure

Hi Bruce,

You make the best case I've seen to rent a car and stay in motels/B&bs/cabins.

Cheers,

Bribie Island...
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
13. Re: Family motorhome adventure

Laughing Oz. We still do the car boot travel thing for short visits, cities or single destinations but are really over trying to live out of a suitcase on a holiday. So much easier when your bed, your wardrobe and your kitchen travel with you. And there's nothing like coming back to the carpark after a cold hike and brewing a beautiful hot chocolate with a soft marshmallow floating on top. Mmm..

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,974 posts
77 reviews
14. Re: Family motorhome adventure

I have to agree that sleeping in a car boot would be worse than a van. Just.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,805 posts
50 reviews
15. Re: Family motorhome adventure

Hi Bruce,

I won't get into the car boot debate :-) During our last ski trip to New Zealand we spent two nights at Aoraki/Mt Cook on the way back to Christchurch. After a half day walk in weather that ranged from white out/sleet to bright sunshine we returned to our room at the Aoraki Court Motel (the best motel we have ever stayed at anywhere BTW) and shared a nice Pinot Noir in the Spa Bath in our room. We remarked about the poor sods camped in their rented Motor Home at the White Horse camp ground we had passed on our way back. They were walking in jeans and jumpers and were soaked through.

Let me think for a nano second motor home after returning wet and cold or a spa bath. Times up!

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
16. Re: Family motorhome adventure

That's ok there are those who like to get amongst it and those who prefer to be inside looking out a window at it.

It's all good as long as you and companions are having fun and not imposing on others' enjoyment.

I'm just as happy camping in a tent in the rain as I am at five star resorts and hotels. Lucky like that I guess :)

There will be plenty of Pinot going down in the motor home , and warm dry clothing

that's a promise!

Edited: 29 June 2014, 13:05
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,769 posts
278 reviews
17. Re: Family motorhome adventure

Hi Kirsten, as you can see it's not a popular method of travel, but each to their own, but it's not for me either.

I have been up in the mountains a fair chunk of the weekend, the Cradle Mt Lodge was lovely, and Devils Gullet was very icy, and for those contemplating Devils Gullet, the road up in a few areas is very soft and very, very slippery, also there's very little snow at the moment :o)

September is noted for the wind, so stay alert for the BOM warnings for vehicles like caravans and campervans in wind affected areas.

http://www.bom.gov.au/tas/warnings/

Safe travels - Robert

18. Re: Family motorhome adventure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Cradle Mountain-Lake...