We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alton towers from dublin..

dublin
3 posts
Save Topic
alton towers from dublin..

hi i cud really do wit sum help..im thinkin of goin 2 alton towers.il b travelin from dub but dont no which airport b d best to fly to r how to get from der 2 alton towers...r even wer to stay...id really appreciate any help.....thanks,,,

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,385 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: alton towers from dublin..

Can you speak english?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alton towers from dublin..

There are forums for Italian, German etc, but I am not sure if there is one for Gibberish.

dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: alton towers from dublin..

ye of course i can speak english..

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,385 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alton towers from dublin..

Well can you try translating to language you used in your post to English then you might get some help. Thanks

dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: alton towers from dublin..

hi i could really do with some help..im thinkin of going to alton towers.ill be travelling from Dublin but do not know which airport be the best to fly to or how to get from there to alton towers...or even where to stay...id really appreciate any help.....thank you...

Just changed it for those people thinking i was talking gibberish!!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: alton towers from dublin..

Can you drive?

If not an organised tour may be best, google something like "tours to alton towers from dublin".

The reason for a tour, or for driving when you get to the UK is that Alton Towers isnt best placed for buses or trains.

Just going for AT only is going to be very expensive, because you will need to stay overnight, take ferry or plane, plus coach. I'm seeing prices around €200 per person for organised tours.

3 or 4 of you in a car driving yourselves would no doubt be cheaper but you'd still have to cost in ferries, hotels or B&Bs, etc. If you fly then you'll realistically have to rent a car. East Midlands Airport is I think the nearest airport, whether that has flights to Dublin I have no clue.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,385 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alton towers from dublin..

Ah that's better. I can understand you now.

Flight to either Birmingham or Manchester (Ryanair fly to both). Train to either stoke or Utoxeter and bus from there.

altontowers.com/plan-your-visit/…

www.nationalrail.co.uk for the train times. There is a direct train from BHX to Stoke every hour so that would be the least complicated route.

I would be tempted to rent a car and just drive, might be more cost effective if there are two or more of your. There are some Travel Lodges in the are and also small hotels and B&B's. Having a car means you can have more choice in the hotel you stay in. Alton Towers is in the middle of the countryside so not too much in the way of accomodation apart from the on site hotels that is.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,385 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alton towers from dublin..

Can't sleep Joe?

Forgot about East Midlands. Ryanair also fly there but it does not have a train station so you need to take the bus to East Midland Parkway train station and the train to Uttoxeter changing in Derby.

You should be able to get ryanair flights for under 40 euros return and the one way train fare from BHX is from £8.50 if booked in advance.

Timewise all the options given are much of a muchness so just cost out the cheapest one for your specified dates and go with that.

dublin
Level Contributor
264 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: alton towers from dublin..

I'm so glad somebody asked this question as I've been wanting to go to AT for a while now. Plus, we kind of promises our son that we'd bring him for his 5th birthday.

Just two questions:

How are the queues mid-week during summer?

Is it worth our while going for two days? We're thinking of going July 22-23.

Cheers in advance!

Éamon.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: alton towers from dublin..

I don't know for certain about queues mid-week but the dates you are considering will be Summer Holidays from school so they may well be (in fact, there are certain to be) busier than two mid-week days in non School holiday weeks and probably crowded with large groups of teenagers.

IME, you can expect to queue (for the biggest, most popular rides) upwards of an hour on busy days for a 2 minute ride. AT does something like a fast track ticket (giving you priority access to certain rides) but I'm not sure how it works - check their web site out.

As for going for two days ... if you can fill two days at the park (and with those queue lengths you might) then why not? From an attractions point of view (and an ease of getting around point of view) AT is not the best place to base yourself for visiting anywhere else other than the park.

Edited: 25 May 2010, 15:36