We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for first time at Silverstone

Hounslow, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Advice needed for first time at Silverstone

Mate and Me booked our 3 days grandstand weekend pass for 2019 Silverstone F1

First time ever attending any live F1 as newbies with no ideas of best way to get there and back

Thinking of either park and ride or coach or bus only rather than drive there.

But have a few question that i was hoping an experienced Silverstone F1 attender would be able to help with?

Q1 Thinking of staying at hotel in Milton Keynes or Banbury - so what are best bus or coach options to get to Silverstone from there and back at evening after concerts and entertainment etc.

Q2 Can i take in my Canon SLR Camera and decent long white Canon Telezoom lens (gonna hire for weekend from lens rental)

Q3 Taking in food and drink (Water/Soft Drinks/Alcohol)? and small racksack allowed? or is it best to buy form there? Whats kind of prices should i expect to pay?

Q4 We will be seated in Woodcote A grandstand - TV access any good? and is commentary heard on loudspeakers?

Q5 We will be seated in Woodcote A grandstand but i hear on Fri / Sat with our ticket we can sit anywhere - how does that work

Many thanks

Ans

7 replies to this topic
Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
2,181 reviews
1. Re: Advice needed for first time at Silverstone

A very similar question was asked last week so the link may help

You will be fine with camera, food also, alcohol may be hard to carry in!! Your seats will be good, don't expect to hear anything on loudspeakers it's to noisy. Either buy a radio or tune into Radio Silverstone on the day for commentary.

I don't know how you feel, but you could camp there, it's fun as long as you don't mind camping, the advantages are you can go to evening events, have a few drinks and avoid the traffic. If you need anymore help please ask.

Take plenty of money it's expensive.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g504…

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Advice needed for first time at Silverstone

Or you could hire a Snoozebox...

Small snoozebox http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4611846

Large snoozebox http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4589961

London, United...
Level Contributor
777 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Advice needed for first time at Silverstone

Q1 Thinking of staying at hotel in Milton Keynes or Banbury - so what are best bus or coach options to get to Silverstone from there and back at evening after concerts and entertainment etc.

A: if you want to be sure you get see all the evening entertainment then you either need to drive to the track or P&R site or camp nearby. The public bus service that is put on for the weekend running from Milton Keynes and Northampton (MK1/N1) doesn't run late enough on the Fri & Sat. This year for the first time the last bus was after the evening entertainment finished on the Sunday, that was a first in the three years I've been. There is no regular bus service from Banbury- I think there might be a megabus service on the Sunday but thats it.

Q2 Can i take in my Canon SLR Camera and decent long white Canon Telezoom lens (gonna hire for weekend from lens rental)

Shouldn't be a problem.

Q3 Taking in food and drink (Water/Soft Drinks/Alcohol)? and small racksack allowed? or is it best to buy form there? Whats kind of prices should i expect to pay?

You can certainly take your own food in, if you want to save money or don't want fast food thats the way to go. Expect to pay around £6-8 for a burger and £11-12 if you want burger and chips.

Q4 We will be seated in Woodcote A grandstand - TV access any good? and is commentary heard on loudspeakers?

I can't speak for Woodcote A as I've only sat there briefly but generally at Silverstone TV access is v good. Commentary can be drowned out by the noise of the cars, more so F2 than F1 but always a good idea to bring/buy a radio if you want to listen in.

Q5 We will be seated in Woodcote A grandstand but i hear on Fri / Sat with our ticket we can sit anywhere - how does that work

Friday the only ticket attendants are at the gates. The grandstands are unlocked and unmanned and you just go up the stairs of whichever one you fancy. Saturday there are ticket attendants on the grandstand gates- they just check you have any grandstand ticket each time you go into virtually any grandstand. Sunday the ticket attendants on the grandstand gates check you're ticket is for the grandstand you paid for.

Your ticket will say very clearly that your seat is for Sunday only with roving access Fri, Sat & most likely Thurs too.

Hounslow, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Advice needed for first time at Silverstone

Thank you but preference is for a hotel.

Hounslow, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Advice needed for first time at Silverstone

Appreciate the response. Useful info provided.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
164 reviews
6. Re: Advice needed for first time at Silverstone

You may have already checked but there are hotels pretty close,there is a Premier Inn only about 2 miles from the circuit & one at Billing Aquadrome which we have used on a number of occasions(not for the GP though),downsides being that you need your own transport to get to the circuit & they are pretty expensive at GP time(the nearest one to the circuit does get booked up very early).

London, United...
Level Contributor
777 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: Advice needed for first time at Silverstone

OP- Don't blame you wanting a hotel- I'm not a camper either, but it does mean you have to compromise. Either you get to see all the entertainment but one of you doesn't drink as you have a car or you can both drink but not see all the entertainment.

Reply to: Advice needed for first time at Silverstone
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Silverstone