We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freshwater Bay House

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Freshwater Bay House

I am thinking of booking this hotel for my mother and just wondered how easy is it to get to the beach from the House. If the steps are too steep, is there another way around to the beach and how long does it take to get to it?

7 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Freshwater Bay House

Is the Albion Hotel a better choice for a quiet holiday in June for the elderly?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Freshwater Bay House

Hmmm... obviously not a popular hotel as nobody seems to know much about.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freshwater Bay House

I presume you have read the 6 reviews of Freshwater Bay House here on Tripadvisor? If so, you are aware that it is owned/operated by HF Holidays, whose principal business is running guided walking holidays from this property. And probably a thousand or so people a year stay there for that purpose. I did so myself a number of years ago (checking my travel records, it was October 1999) and do remember crossing the lawn and taking the path/steps down to the waterfront, where there was a bar/café. I have no memory of the beach so it must have been fairly insignificant. I did not find the walk down or back up difficult, but again I was there to do 10 -12 mile daily coastal walks, so I wouldn’t have expected it be. You could just as easily walk down the road to the beachfront, certainly less steep than the footpath and might take a minute or 2 longer.

Sorry I can’t be any really help. Perhaps if we knew what the physical issue is with your mother, somebody might be willing to dig out his/her OS map and determine the elevation difference between sea level and the cliff top where the house is and scale off the distance by road from the house to the seafront.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Freshwater Bay House

There are a large number of steep steps down to the pebble beach. Alternately, you can down the drive to the road, and then along the road to the pebble beach. There is no lift in the hotel, and steep steps up to the front door. This is a hotel principally for those on HF HOLIDAY walking holidays. If mobility is a serious problem, you may be better elsewhere.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Freshwater Bay House

On second thoughts, there may be a RAMP that avoids the steep steps up to the front door, but it would still be a bit of a climb for someone with a severe mobility problem.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Freshwater Bay House

Thanks for your answers.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Freshwater Bay House

New steps this season from Freshwater Bay House to the esplanade, and there are thirty six if them.

Reply to: Freshwater Bay House
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Freshwater