We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best connection from Southampton Airport to East Cowes

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best connection from Southampton Airport to East Cowes

Hi,

I am going to sail the Round the Island Race on 21.06 and arrive on Friday 20.06 at Southampton Airport. I found the Traveline App and see that there is a relatively east Bus connection to the Ferry but it seems to take forever to get there even though the airport is just 5 miles or so away. I also see that there are train connections but thats no a straightforward connection and also takes just 6 minutes less. Now I am think maybe I should just take a cab. How much would that cost me? Also is it a good idea to by ferry tickets upfront? I seem to only be able to do that if i pick a specific time...which I find a bit risky.....

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
6 replies to this topic
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,641 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best connection from Southampton Airport to East Cowes

Buy your ferry tickets at the ferry terminal, For East Cowes you take the car ferry.

The bus from the airport is U1 http://www.unilinkbus.co.uk/route-list.shtml. It leaves from outside the airport terminal.

Mentioned in this post
Cowes
Cowes
Isle of Wight, UK
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best connection from Southampton Airport to East Cowes

The alternative is a five minute train journey to Southampton Central and then a free bus trip of 10 minutes to the ferry terminal.

A taxi from the airport to the town quay would be about £30.

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best connection from Southampton Airport to East Cowes

Thanks to both of you. With the Traveline app i found both options already I just didnt know what the cab would cost. I guess i just use what ever connection goes first.....30 Pounds is a bit excessive reminds me of Amsterdam cab prices here at home :-)

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best connection from Southampton Airport to East Cowes

Checker cars at the airport will give you a fixed price for your journey (just go to their desk and ask). But they will be more expensive than a normal metered taxi if there is no traffic. If this journey is before 7am it will probably only cost about £12. But in traffic a lot more.

Try radio taxi 02380 666666

West quay cars 02380 999999

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best connection from Southampton Airport to East Cowes

Pretty sure there will be a lot of traffic. Its Friday noon and everyone is arriving for the race....

Cowes, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best connection from Southampton Airport to East Cowes

train to Southampton from airport then FREE bus to Red Funnel. I think when we took the train a few years ago it was about £9 return

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Reply to: Best connection from Southampton Airport to East Cowes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cowes