We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit cards

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
465 posts
281 reviews
Save Topic
Credit cards

Does anyone know if they accept credit cards in the restaurants in Koutouloufari?

Mentioned in this post
Koutouloufari
Koutouloufari
Crete, Greece
3 replies to this topic
swindon,england
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit cards

The vast majority of them have always preferred cash but over the past couple of years more have accepted cards,it would be best to ask before you order to save any embarrassment.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
465 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit cards

Thanks. I am just trying to work out how much cash to take with me. The exchange rate is dire at the moment - but then it could get worse by the time I get there next week! Sometimes you get a better exchange rate when using credit cards to pay for meals etc. (the banking rate as opposed to tourist rate).

Hersonissos, Greece
Level Contributor
264 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit cards

All businesses must now accept card payments, new rules from the Greek Govt introduced this year. I don't think you will be very popular if you offer a card for small amounts like a cup of coffee for instance

A lot of places still do not like taking them of course, and I think that there may be some that still do not have a machine, or say they haven't.

There are some cards which give a better exchange rate than others and some that do not charge for foreign currency transactions as the commission on a foreign transaction can be quite high, for instance on my Lloyds Mastercard there is a charge of £30 on a 1000 euro transaction.

On the other hand my Halifax Clarity Mastercard does not charge anything for foreign transactions and give a rate of just over 1.13 euros to the pound.

Reply to: Credit cards
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted