We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to see/do near Cuyahoga Falls

CA
Level Contributor
328 posts
362 reviews
Save Topic
what to see/do near Cuyahoga Falls

We will be in Cuyahoga Falls in late May. I heard that there is an interesting Amish town near Cuyahoga Falls.. can someone help me with the name? And is it worth visiting?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to see/do near Cuyahoga Falls

cuyahoga falls is about 40 minutes from downtown Cleveland so you can always visit the rock and roll hall of fame, or go to the Cleveland Art Museum, The Cleveland Botanical Gardens, or the University Circle area. About 10 minutes south is the city of Akron, and about 30 minutes south is the Football Hall of Fame in Canton.

See the link below for information on Amish country in Ohio.

www.visitamishcountry.com

CA
Level Contributor
328 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to see/do near Cuyahoga Falls

Thanks for info on what to see/do near Cuyahoga Falls. The Amish country is definitley of interest to us.

Okemos, Michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to see/do near Cuyahoga Falls

We are going to Cuyahoga falls this weekend - April 9-11. We'll let you know what we find. We have been to the park there (Cuyahoga Falls National Conservation area, kind of like a national park, but not "official") several years ago and took a very scenic short hike. This week-end, we plan to check out more of that park, do some additional hiking, as well as check out the scenic railroad and possibly try the bike along the Ohio canal and catch the train to come back.

We'll post on how those work out!

CA
Level Contributor
328 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to see/do near Cuyahoga Falls

I look forward to your trip report about hking etc near Cuyahoga Falls.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to see/do near Cuyahoga Falls

I am going to CF in mid April and hope to hike in Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Check out the website http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm

I plan to hike the area of Virginia Kendall Ledges. I was there for very short time a couple of years ago during winter, no time for hiking, just looked around some. I'm pretty sure you can rent bikes in a town called Peninsula and bike on the Tow Path, then catch the scenic train back...sounds like fun. Also try the Gorge Metro Park on 2nd Street, 1-2 miles from the Sheraton in downtown. It's a fairly easy scenic wooded trail that runs along the river, very nice. I have been, but didn't hike, to Sand Run Metro Park (Akron). It's nice (and large), also Babb Run and Cascades in CF look interesting as well as other Metro Parks. Here is the link for the parks: http://www.summitmetroparks.org/

glacial_erratic, please post here about your trip, especially hikes. I'd like to hear of your adventure before I arrive. I'll also post when I return home in case labguides and others are interested.

LondonLady, you helped me with information when I was in Akron a previous time, thanks.

Happy trails

CA
Level Contributor
328 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to see/do near Cuyahoga Falls

Tell me more about the scenic train, plz.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to see/do near Cuyahoga Falls

Check out this site..................

http://www.cvsr.com/

It should answer most questions. Nice that you can get on and off to explore along the way. Check schedules, they may only be operating on weekends at this point.

CA
Level Contributor
328 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to see/do near Cuyahoga Falls

Thomas the Train looks like the perfect thing to do with 3 year old grandson while we are in Cuyahoga Falls. Thanks for the link.

Okemos, Michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to see/do near Cuyahoga Falls

We just returned from our trip to Cuyahoga Falls and here is our report. We did not visit any of the Amish areas, so can't help you there. But here is what we did and some of it may appeal to you. It's pretty long!

Cuyahoga Falls Trip

We really enjoyed our trip! Lots to do, especially if you like hiking and outdoor activities!

Sheraton Suites Cuyahoga Falls – Very nice hotel, the suite was spacious and comfortable, and we had a river view room right above the dam and river which is right behind the hotel – I mean RIGHT behind it! It has a restaurant and bar. We ate breakfast once at the restaurant. It was good, but had “hotel prices” so it was on the high priced side. Luckily, we had a "family discount"! We had drinks in the bar one evening, and it was nice to sit and watch the falls and have a drink, but then two loud groups came and sat on either side, so we were out of there! The hotel also has a nice fitness room and a large pool with lane lines, and a large hot tub.

Cuyahoga National Park – No admission fee, lots to do. Pick up maps and information at any of the visitor centers. They also have a schedule of concerts, special hikes, railroad trips, and other activities.

Things we did in the park:

Cuyahoga Falls – Walked the loop trail, nice hike, fairly easy hiking. Trail is about a mile long.

Brandywine Falls – Walked the loop trail, nice easy hike, some inclines.

Ledges –Did the loop trail, went to Ice Box Cave, Ledges overlook. Again, nice hike, a little more challenging with some rocks and steps, but not hard. I think it was a little over a mile.

Bike the Tail, Ride the Rail – Rented bikes from Century Cycles in Penninsula; cost was $8.00 per hour per bike. We spent 4 hours doing the trip, so cost was $64.00. It was about 15 miles, and we rode at a steady moderate pace, with some stops for pictures, etc. You can use your own bike, and then it is a real deal! We rode north on the towpath to Rockport, then got on the train and rode back to Penninsula. Very easy bike riding, mostly flat, some slight grades with a few hills that were pretty moderate. Biking took about 2.5 hours; train ride is about 35 minutes back. No ticket required, you just take your bike to the baggage car and they load it in. Then pay $2.00 per person and you ride in the car just in front of the baggage car. For the cheap rate, you do not get the “narration” about the area. They did announce when we passed an eagle nest so we could see the eagles. They have snacks available for purchase on the train. Very fun activity for the day. If you just want to do the train ride, it was $10 per adult for the entie round trip.

A few tips:

• Check the train schedule carefully. If you are planning to catch the train back, you don’t want to miss it! It goes twice a day in the spring and three times per day in the summer. The last train leaving Rockport (north end stop) was at 1:30pm, so be sure to get started right away in the morning.

• Ride your bike a little bit before leaving the bike rental to make sure it is adjusted to fit you– I didn’t and I quickly wished I had, since the seat was tilted back and I really would have been more comfortable if it had been set level. You can adjust the seat height with a lever lock, but a tool is needed to level the seat or change the handle bars. Otherwise, the bikes were in good repair and very easy to ride with 18 gears.

• Along the towpath, there were signs that said “Towpath is closed at Fitzgerald Bridge due to construction” but none of the maps showed anything named “Fitzgerald.” The closure is actually just north of the Frazee Trailhead spot. There is NO information about this closure or how to get around it, etc. which was a bit frustrating. There was also no mention of this closure at the bike rental place or at the visitor center. To bypass it, you must ride on the side of the road about a half mile then there is a bridge back to the towpath. The two lane road is fairly busy with only a small shoulder, but with a fair number of bicycles, we felt that drivers would be looking for bikers. I would probably not ride down the road it if we had small kids riding bikes.

• The towpath is hard packed gravel and some paved stretches. Easy to ride or walk.

Restaurants

Moe’s – We walked from our hotel the 5-6 blocks up the riverwalk in Cayahoga Falls to Moe’s. Delicious meal, all selections are made on site from scratch. The menu changes monthly. Bruce and I both had the tenderloin, and it was cooked perfectly medium rare, tender and delicious. No spices or tenderizers, just the best tenderloins we have had! With the meals, Bruce had garlic mashed potatoes and asperagus and I had au gratin potatoes and snow peas. Those side items sound pretty mundane, but they were all delicious, and not your average side items. For dessert, we had the Bread Pudding, but it wasn’t your average bread pudding, (which I normally would never order). This was “S’more Bread Pudding” with chocolate chunks and marshmallows, and with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, was a dessert to die for! We shared it, which I highly recommend! The prices were not cheap ($29.00 each for the dinner, plus wine and dessert) but it was worth every cent!

• Pub Bricco – (aout 10-15 drive from hotel) This restaurant was highly recommended on Trip Advisor. While I can see what people liked about it, we were not totally won over. First, the food was very good! They serve hamburgers (or grilled chicken or veggie burgers) with a selection of about 12 -15 “groups” of toppings. (Not sure how to explain that!) They also served soup, salads and some appetizers. Their one “dinner” selection was a strip steak. I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with feta, spinach, olive tapenade and tomatoes. Bruce had a burger with several toppings. We each had a beer with it. As I said, the food was very good. However, we both felt the atmosphere and the service left something to be desired. We were seated in a small raised area that had small tables for two with a bench on one side and a short stool on the other. So it was not the most comfortable. Plus the tables were close together and you could hear every conversation much too well! Bruce’s Guinness was served in a dripping glass, and there was no coaster or napkin and the server just didn’t seem to notice. The service was fairly slow and not very attentive. Overall, the place was pretty loud with people talking. Prices were on the higher side of general sports bar prices, so it was not unreasonable. They had a few TV’s, but not a good place to watch a game.

Don Drumm Art Studio

Great place – a must-go! 437 Crouse St,. Akron, OH. Look for the ad in the visitor guide. Large collection of art objects by the Don Drumm, as well as other artists. We spent about 90 minutes there.

Hope this is helpful! Enjoy your trip!

Okemos, Michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to see/do near Cuyahoga Falls

I forgot to add that the train is only on week-ends now, so check the link to the railroad in the earlier post to see when they expand the schedule.

Get answers to your questions about Cuyahoga Falls