We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Amish Country Ohio

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Amish Country Ohio

Help! I am taking my 16-year old son to a summer program at Kenyon. I decided that we would spend a day exploring Amish Ohio before going to Kenyon. So, we will be there on Saturday, July 13 (staying at the Carlisle Inn for the nights of July 12 and 13). My son and I both like to explore places and love taking photographs.

I've been doing some reading and have identified what look to be some fun places to visit -- Guggisberg cheese factory, Heinis Cheese, Lehmans Hardware, Miller's Bakery,

Coblentz Chocolate candy store. However, I don't have a sense of where these places are and am overwhelmed trying to create a logical itinerary for our day.

We don't have to go to all of those places and are open to suggestions for other destinations. I would welcome a suggested logical plan for exploring the area and visiting some fun places.

Thanks!!!

--Diane

10 replies to this topic
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Amish Country Ohio

You might check out on Sunday Malabar Farm State Park, a Hollywood escape frozen in its mid-20th century splendor (see Mohican region in the following travel article). Route 39 is a scenic route from Berlin to Lucas. Definitely bring a GPS.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

After Malabar Farm State Park, you could reach Gambier by taking I-71. Get on at exit 173. Get off at exit 151. Then take route 95, then route 13 south to Mt. Vernon, and route 229 east to Gambier.

Or you can explore the Ohio country side by taking route 303 back east a short distance to route 603, then south a short distance to route 95, then southwest to route 13 to Mt. Vernon and route 229 to Gambier. The scenic route may be faster as it's much shorter. That region of Ohio still is in the Allegheny foothills, and there is some beautiful rolling countryside, much as you will find in Ohio Amish country.

The following website offers addresses or directions to attractions, such as Guggisberg cheese.

experience-ohio-amish-country.com/amish-chee…

It also offers route trips and many other ideas:

experience-ohio-amish-country.com/trip-ideas…

Reportedly, the upper floor rooms in the back of the Carlisle Inn in Walnut Creek (there also is a Carlisle Inn in Sugar Creek) offers great views.

Consider using the search engine at the top for all Ohio forums to find more threads on "Ohio Amish" country.

BTW, the Pro Football Hall of Fame is in Canton, just northeast of Amish country. Check out the Ohio Light Opera in nearby Wooster if your son never has seen Gilbert & Sullivan or would be interested in another musical classic.

http://www.ohiolightopera.org/season.php

Have fun in Buckeye land!

Edited: 03 July 2013, 04:34
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Amish Country Ohio

Carlisle has many gift shops within walking distance. There is a beautiful gift shop across the street that I remember well. The scenery is beautiful from this location you can view the magnificent rolling hills. Der Dutchman restaurant is next door and has a bakery attached. We like visiting SugarCreek, Walnut Creek and Berlin. The thing about visiting Amish Country, is there are many stops you can make along the way, in between these areas. Definitely bring a gps, and it's hilly and curvy terrain. We usually make our way to Amish Country in the fall to see the leaves in full bloom. Don't forget to bring home apple butter. So good with biscuits and homemade bread. It's a beautiful day in Amish Country where ever you stop.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
7 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Amish Country Ohio

One more thing I forgot to mention, many places are not open on Sunday in Amish Country.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Amish Country Ohio

Thanks for the replies. We will be driving from Oberlin to Walnut Creek on Friday (my son is a high school junior so we are looking at a few colleges on this trip). Any suggestions on the best route. Mapquest suggests three routes: 1. OH-58, 2. OH-18 E to OH-83 S; or OH 303 to OH-83 S.

My son and I both like photography, so scenic routes are great for us.

Also, I used google maps to figure out the location of the places we might want to visit in the Amish Country (it was much easier to use than Mapquest), and I'm feeling less overwhelmed now :).

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Amish Country Ohio

One more routing question. Since we will be driving directly from Walnut Creek to Gambier (no time for a side excursion to Malabar Farm State Park on this trip), is there a route that would be more scenic? Google offers the following routes: 1. US-62 W; 2. OH-39 W and OH-514 S; and 3. OH-93 S and US-36 W. The last option takes a bit longer, but I'm okay with that if it would be more scenic.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in Amish Country Ohio

The shortest route between Oberlin and Walnut Creek, is described in the next paragraph and likely is the most scenic and perhaps even about the fastest route between Oberlin and Walnut Creek. It's pretty flat topography until you get near I-71, but much of the area had been depopulated when I last drove through it, over a decade ago, and there were a few ghost towns, or near ghost towns, along the route, if I remember correctly. However, with satellite cable and the internet, some of Ohio's rural areas are now seeing housing developments, so I'm not certain exactly what you would see on this route.

Take route 58 south to Sullivan, soon after taking route 89 south through Polk and Jeromesville. When route 89 dead ends into route 95, take it a very short distance southwest to Mohicanville. Take route 179 in Mohicanville southeast to route 39 (which will be combined with route 60 for a short distance) and head east on route 39 to Walnut Creek. North of Jeromesville, you'll be entering the foothills so drive carefully and watch out for hidden drives etc. Stretches will be bucolic.

The largest living thing in Ohio is located just south of Jeromesville, near route 89. If interested in shooting it, get directions before your trip.

http://jeromesvilleoh.us/sycamore.html

http://ohiodnr.com/tabid/4810/Default.aspx

A short detour also would take you to Brown's Lake Bog, a National Natural Landmark located just south of Wooster.

nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northameri…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown%27s_Lake_Bog

Route 83 will take you through Wooster, which may slow you down (haven't been through there in a long time), but it would be the route to take if you want to see an Ohio Light Opera production on Friday. You also can reach Wooster easily from Jeromesville on route 30, a four-lane road without much traffic (Ohio's Republicans IMO love building lightly-traveled rural freeways and neglecting heavily traveled urban arteries, especially in northern Ohio :-)). I'm not certain whether route 303 or route 18 are much different, except that route 303 will take you through Pittsfield, leveled by a tornado several decades ago and now with relatively new homes. You'll miss Wellington, where route 58 south intersects with route 18 (which I've never driven east from Wellington).

Wellington is a very interesting little city with some rather photogenic buildings. It was the home of Archibald Willard, who painted "The Spirit of '76" there. The original drum and fife used as models in the painting are displayed at the "Spirit of '76 Museum" there. Wellington used to have some beautiful old bars as Oberlin used to be dry (no alcohol, a local option in Ohio).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington,_Ohio

As photographers, I heartily recommend purchasing a copy of Ian Adams' "A Photographer's Guide to Ohio." Adams is the preeminent Ohio landscape photographer and provides decades of experience in this all-color guide. The book has excellent regional maps and shooting recommendations/tips. You'll be in the neighborhood of Guy Denny Prairie near Fredericktown, one of his recommendations in addition to Ohio Amish country. The book can be purchased online or in most Ohio bookstores.

On your college tour, are you checking out Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland? It's located in University Circle, one of the nation's top cultural centers.

http://www.universitycircle.org/

The Cleveland Museum of Art, one of the best in the nation, and Severance Hall, home of the Cleveland Orchestra, one of the world's best, are essentially on campus, along with several other very good cultural institutions, such as the Cleveland Institutes of Art and Music. Severance Hall is Cleveland's Taj Mahal, and often considered the most beautiful concert hall in the U.S. University Circle is connected to PlayhouseSquare, the second largest unified theater district in the U.S., and downtown by the 24/7 bus rapid, which features articulated buses on dedicated lines.

The CMA has free admission to its general galleries, very cheap annual memberships, and a very heavy emphasis on education. An engaged student at Case Western could get a wonderful liberal arts education for virtually free. The Cleveland Institutes of Music and Art also offer many free programs, and student discounts are available at the Cleveland Orchestra and at PlayhouseSquare.

Case Western is the highest-rated university in Ohio by U.S. News and World Report.

Edited: 03 July 2013, 23:52
Harrisonburg...
Level Contributor
2 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in Amish Country Ohio

Here's a websie with some good info for that area: http://www.bestofamishcountry.com/

Bruce

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day in Amish Country Ohio

From Walnut Creek to Gambier, route 62 west to route 229 probably is the fastest route. Route 62 is a scenic route until Danville.

Route 93 south also is a scenic route through part of Amish Country. Taking route 36 west from 93 would take you near Coshocton and Roscoe Village. West of Noble, take 229 from 36 to Gambier.

http://www.roscoevillage.com/

BTW, the Great Mohican Pow-Wow is July 12-13 in Loudonville, near Malabar Farm State Park, and at the intersection of routes 39 and 3, not far from Gambier.

http://www.mohicanpowwow.com

I've probably been on some of these routes, but have no memory of them. Sorry.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day in Amish Country Ohio

BTW, here's an article that may interest you about Oberlin.

…cleveland.com/architecture/2010/06/oberlin_…

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Day in Amish Country Ohio

If you want to see the Jeromesville National Champion Sycamore, Ian Adams is willing to help out. See the last paragraph here:

ianadamsphotography.com/news/…

If you take route 62 from Walnut Creek to Gambier, you pass near these falls.

ianadamsphotography.com/news/…

Reply to: One Day in Amish Country Ohio
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Berlin