We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Tribulation vs Whitsundays in December

london
3 posts
Save Topic
Cape Tribulation vs Whitsundays in December

Myself and my husband have roughly five days in December and I'm torn between visiting Cape Trib or going to the Whitsundays. I keen to see the Barrier reef for the first time but also want to make the most the of our time. I know both will be fabulous but any tips on whuch way to go would be appreciated.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Tribulation vs Whitsundays in December

These are two different amazing experiences

Cape Trib = Lush Rainforest

Whitsundays = Sailing, snorkeling, diving and the reef

December in Qld can be VERY hot the further South you go the cooler it gets

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Tribulation vs Whitsundays in December

Cape Tribulation to my knowledge has or had a large catamaran called the Rum Runner and it did/does not go out to the actual Great Barrier Reef. Cape Trib is one of the only places in the world where the rainforest meets the ocean.

When selecting a Whitsundays boat you need to make sure it is scheduled to go out to the actual Great Barrier Reef because the majority of Whitsundays boats do not. If you are looking at web sites and see the words "Great Barrier Reef Marine Park" it does not mean the boat goes out to the Great Barrier Reef itself. The Whitsunday Islands are part of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and this confuses many people when they are trying to select a boat.

Boats that do go out to the actual Great Barrier Reef only do so if the weather allows them to. The reef is some distance out to sea from the Islands.

Whoever you are dealing with make sure you ask the questions you want to ask and if you find you are not getting the reply and service you would like then just enquire with someone else until you are happy with the service you receive.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Tribulation vs Whitsundays in December

You can do the two from our great area. As per above post this is the only place in the world where two world heritage areas meet, The Reef with the Rainforest. Port Douglas is also the closest point on the east coast to the Outer Great Barrier Reef. You can stay at Cape Tribulation and explore the area and still go to the Outer Reef, or stay in Port Douglas and travel for a day to Cape Tribulation, all easy enough from this point.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Tribulation vs Whitsundays in December

I must be really lucky... we have over 1000 rainforest trees on our property... I had to laugh when I did go up to the Daintree... it was like taking a walk in my backyard:)... if you do come this way then I would suggest 'The Great Whitsunday Walk'... but being December it could get quite hot and then hotter still the further North you go

As mentioned before the Daintree does have the 'Outer Platform' reef... and the Whitsundays have the fringing reef around the islands... they also have the platform reef (which takes roughly 4 hours to get to)... both different experiences... outer reef has bigger fish were as fringing reef has more colourful coral

The GBR in the Whitsundays starts as soon as you enter the water... most people tend to think that the GBR is a big distance away... what people are referring to is the 'outer reef'

I hope this helps ...

Shute Harbour...
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Tribulation vs Whitsundays in December

Hey Wombat

Just a suggestion

But you might need six days..

Two days at cape trib with one of them on an outer reef trip form Port Douglas. Pick up the early quantas flight from Cairns to Hamilton then have a look at joining a boat trip from Hamo or Airlie to take you around the Whitsundays..

The flight from Cairns to Hamilton Is in a small turbo prop plane that flys at 10,000 ft not 30,000 feet. On a clear day the view is like what I would imagine the astronauts appreciate.. I have done this 4 times now and 3 out of 4 I was lucky enough to see 600 kilometers of the Great barrier reef from the air..

Skip..

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Tribulation vs Whitsundays in December

Good suggestion Skipp... why do one when you can do both:)

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape Tribulation vs Whitsundays in December

Wombat, it seems it is the Great Barrier Reef you want to see so here is a link to a map that might clear up some of the confusion as to where that is. You can see on this maps the reefs that make up the Great Barrier Reef and you can also see on the map how those reefs move further offshore the further south you go in Queensland.

wayfaring.info/wp-content/…cre_map.gif

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape Tribulation vs Whitsundays in December

The Daintree Rainforest has trees and cycads that are hundreds and hundreds of years old. This is why it is a World Heritage listed area.

Cedar Bay used to be a hippies haunt and massive demonstrations were held when logging threatened this region. People buried themselves in the roads, drove metal spikes into trees chained themselves to trees to stop the logging that was threatening this region.

Much of Queenslands natural rainforests were logged so conservationists of the day were determined to preserve this region of Queensland.

All of their protests paid off and the region was finally protected.

While forests and some peoples properties may have been reforested it would take centuries to catch up to sections of the Daintree which have been growing for hundreds of years.

So to say there is rainforest in many regions of Queensland is correct but few places can compare to the Daintree. That is why it is a special place.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cape Tribulation vs Whitsundays in December

Yes Martin the Daintree is unique... that is why it is in my top 5 destinations

Wombat.. depending on what you want to mainly do as suggested before, if you can do both and if you could get a few more days ... then it would be the best way to make the most of your time

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape Tribulation vs Whitsundays in December

All I can add to this wombat is that if I were given the choice, I wouldn't pass up Cape Trib for anything! We just got back from there for our honeymoon, and it was amazing. Such a different world! And you can easily do reef tours from either there on the Rum Runner, or by venturing down to Port Douglas for the day and doing a tour from there.

From what I gather about the Whitsundays it is a bit of a resort atmosphere, which is entirely different to Cape Trib. Cape Trib is more of an adventure!

I guess it really depends which of the two you are after - but should you decide on Cape Trib, I can thoroughly recommend the horseriding and the jungle surfing! Awesome.