We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Desborough, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Daintree/Cape Tribulation

We are looking at visiting Queensland in September/October 2008 and had the idea of Spending 3 nights at Daintree (Daintree Eco Lodge) followed by 3 nights at Cape Tribulation (Coconut Beach or Ferntree).

Our travel agent has advised against this because the 2 resorts are so similar. Has anyone got any alternatives, beit places to go and/or stay during or stay in this region. We will have a car and our main interest is outdoors, birds and wildlife.

Thank you.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daintree/Cape Tribulation

I'd suggest you head up to Kuranda and the Atherton tablelands (from Cairns) before you continue on to the Daintree. It's such a beautiful area, and accomodation options vary widely.

Just google it.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daintree/Cape Tribulation

There was a really good recent thread about the Atherton Tablelands that you might find useful:

tripadvisor.com/…7725465

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daintree/Cape Tribulation

I stayed at the Coconut Beach Resort at Cape Tribulation last year and it was sensational. We had three nights there then one night in Port Douglas and two nights in Cairns.

I wouldn't miss the rainforest. It's a fabulous experience with its awe-inspiring beauty. As an alternative for one of your three night stints, have you thought about staying on one of the islands on the GBR?

Alternatively stay in Cairns and make the most of lots of activities on offer:

- reef tour

- white water rafting

- Kuranda skyrail

- Atherton Tablelands

- Tjapukai

...and lots more.

Check out http://www.cairnsattractions.com/ for more ideas.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Daintree/Cape Tribulation

Hi minispud

Daintree Eco Lodge is located near the Daintree Village.

Coconut Beach Resort is located in the midst of the Daintree National Park near Cape Trbulation, which is on the other side of the Daintree river.

They are both good resorts, but I do tend to agree with the first two posts that say to split your time and think of spending a few days in The Tablelands.

The Daintree area and The Tablelands area, are two very different locations with different things to offer including birdlife and wildlife.

Whether you stay at Daintree Eco Lodge or Coconut Beach or Ferntree is up to you, but some of the things on offer up that way, and highly recommended would be a Daintree River cruise with Chris Dahlberg, for wildlife I would try a day tour with David Armbrust.

Both these two gentlemen are experts in their field and both their tours are very unique and for someone interested in birdlife and wildlife you won't be disappointed.

At The Tablelands, I would look at visiting the Mareeba Wetlands and Hasties Swamp, two very popular places for birdlovers. You'll be amazed at the many species found in the area.

Desborough, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daintree/Cape Tribulation

Thank you everyone for your advice. Its so difficult to fit everything in!

I think we'll do the Daintree Eco Lodge then stay in Cairns for a few days and travel to the Tablelands and surrounding area.

6. Re: Daintree/Cape Tribulation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 12:19