We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coconut Beach Resort

Sacramento
Level Contributor
154 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Coconut Beach Resort

There arent many recent reviews for the Coconut Beach Resort. We are thinking of staying there for 5-7 days as part of our HM to Oz. We want to experience the rainforest and the GBR. Any feedback on this resort? TIA!

Hornsby
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Coconut Beach Resort

Hi MauidAmy

I recently wrote about this place - please see below, sorry its so long!

I have literally just fallen off the plane after being up at PD & Cape Trib. The best place in the world is Cape Trib. Its not fancy or ritzy but is perfect for pure relaxation. No mobile reception and where we stayed (Coconut Beach Lodge) no tv. It was peaceful and beautiful having the rainforest surrounding you from all angles. We stayed in the Daintree Escape room which at first we were worried re not having any outside world communications! This soon turned to relief at that fact!

The bathroom itself was cool as one wall was completely glass (sitting in the bath or on the loo staring out into the bush! lol) This made it even more exciting when the local resident - George the Cassowary decided to visit! He was captured by his own reflection in our mirror and started grunting. I was laying on the bed reading, wondering what the hell that sound was - only to discover as i was wondering lazily to the loo that it was George getting upset that another male was in his territory! ha ha. He posed no harm to us although i wouldnt suggest getting too close - was one of those cool things you can only see up at that end of the world!

As far as walking through Daintree Village - it honestly would take you 15 minutes to do that. The village of Daintree is very small and also, the village of Cape Trib is even smaller. Im not sure what pricing you are looking at but i would defintely recommend Coconut Beach Resort. It is probably the more expensive of the places to stay so please take that into account. Perhaps look at one of the discount accom websites. The busy season is now starting so you may have trouble getting a cheaper room but worth a look anyway.

The rooms are quite basic, but you honestly dont spend a lot of time in the room. The area itself makes you want to go and discover it! Its the best place to do the GBR from as the boat ride is only 45 mins each way rather than 2hrs each way if you did it from Port Douglas.

I would suggest doing the following activities in Cape Trib

* The board walks around the area

* H2O Odyssey or Rum Runner reef day cruise (The Port Doug cruises come to the same area so why waste more time in a boat when you can spend only 45 mins each way and spend more time in the water seeing turtles etc!)

* Coopers Creek Croc cruise

* Nightwalk (either Coopers Creek or Jungle Adventures)

* We did the jungle canopy surfing (flying fox) - is a bit pricey for the small amount of time you are flying through the jungle but worth the experience if you want a little more adventure (im scared of heights so this was really a big thing for me to do! the last leg they have you do it upside down!)

I didnt see a dawn cruise but seems like you have done a heap of research so i will have to leave that one up to you.

Be warned that meals in Cape Trib are VERY pricey. We ate at PK's backpackers one night to try and save some money - not recommended from my opinion and we wouldnt go back. Their meals are classed as cheap and are AUD$15. Coconuts meals are expensive but great and they are around AUD$26. Dragonfly Cafe is AWESOME for dinner and are open for lunch also. Their prices are slightly cheaper than Coconuts and are just as delicious.

Please also do the Mossman Gorge. It really was beautiful - we did this on our way up to Cape Trib from Port Douglas. You can swim here so make sure you have your swimmers and a towel (we didnt and regretted it - although is was slightly crowded but def worth it.) We did the loop track and were so sweaty at the end, a swim would hhave cooled us off nicely!

Can i also recommend that you consider doing Hartleys Crocodile Farm? We did this and thought it was great. You get to see heaps of Crocs and other native animals too. This is about 25kms south of Port Douglas, so if travelling from Cairns up to PD it will be on your way.

2. Re: Coconut Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 14:26