We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solitude

San Diego
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Solitude

First time going to Solitude in late February: 2 so called adults in their early 40's and their three children ages range from 5-12. Can anyone recommend a tubing or sledding spot, good places to eat, and other activities in addition to the usual ski/snow board?

Thanks. dks@yslaw.com

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solitude

Sledding hill is on I-80 at the bottom of Parleys summit or venture further to Soldier Hollow for a different experience. It's an all day adventure. You will eat at the usual places are there are only a few up near Brighton and solitude. Nothing too special there. Go into Salt Lake and see some downtown sights, the Planetarium, and romp around the Gateway Mall. It's open air shopping but quaint and there are lots of places to eat there. There is sledding and ice skating up Little Cottonwood Canyon at Snowbird. The sledding hill is closed right now for lack of snow though. By end of February that might change. Eat there. Take the tram up. Ski and snowboard there for a variety. Leave the youngest in the fun day center they have.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
708 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solitude

There's also a good place to sled just a couple miles down the canyon from Solitude. It's not developed, so you have to bring your own. Are you staying at Solitude? The Creekside restaurant at the resort is quite good. If you're staying down in Salt Lake City, the restaurant options are much bigger.

maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solitude

how was your trip?

we are visitinf for first time dec 2008-we are planning a trip to solitude the week after christmas 2008 to solitude--any advice?

lookin for 3 bedroom skin and out condo?

which of the 4 condos at base would you recommend?

is mountain big enough to keep a family of % that like blues and blacks happy?

how far for day trips to alta-snowbird? deervalley/pc?

what are best family restaurants?

also any opinion on how crowded it gets week after christmas?

th!

maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solitude

we are headed to solitude as well christmas-smae age kids

have you figured out what condo in the village is the nicest? they all seem the same...

Houston
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solitude

Let us know how your trip was, will be heading there next year. Thanks

maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solitude

it was great...use this guy as he was very helpful...no lift lines...challenging mt...

Kevin Roberts, Reservation Manager,

Mountain West Ski Tours &

Solitude Lodging Company

801 943-5050

www.usskilodging.com

www.SolitudeLodging.com

Kevin@usskilodging.com

Norfolk, VA
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Solitude

We have twins that are 13 years old and plan to book a condo at solitude the 1st week of March. Which condos do you reommend? Could you comment on Solitude's ski school? Did you venture over to Brighton?

Thanks Kay

chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solitude

Hi Kay:

We just returned from Solitude, you will have a great time! I have 12 year old triplet boys. We rented a condo in the Powderhorn Lodge (from VRBO) and it was perfect for us. Everything is fairly close together, and the condos (I believe) were built in the mid-90s...so you really can't go wrong. The pizza place and skating rink were right in front of our building, and the Club Solitude area was the next building over. I believe the Eagle Springs building was the one with Club Solitude (heated outdoor pool, hot tubs, video games, movies, etc), so that building, too, would also be an excellent choice for two 13 year olds.

My boys had never been skiing/boarding before and our experience with the ski school was very positive. The whole family signed up for the 1 day group lessons. It worked out that there were not any other beginners in my boys age group (lots of little ones, but they were in a different group), so two of my boys had 1 instructor between them for the whole day. My son who wanted to snowboard ended up with an instructor all to himself! Needless to say, at the end of the 1st day, my 2 boys that took the ski lessons were skiing well enough to not need lessons the rest of the week. My snowboarder needed 1 more day (as you really do a lot of falling around your 1st day of boarding), but after the second day he was boarding/skiing with the family. My husband and I also took the adult lessons and were extremely pleased.

We absolutely loved Solitude...my children say it is their favorite vacation ever! One piece of advice, there is not really anywhere to shop for food, etc...so if you like to eat breakfast/lunch at the condo you might want to order groceries from Albertsons.com ahead of time!

-kelly

Norfolk, VA
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Solitude

Kelly, Thanks so much for your reply. We booked through vbro at eagle springs east (where club solitude is located). I will definitely sign them up for lessons the 1st 2 days - 2 will be snowboarding (1st time) and one will be skiing. WE fly into Salt LAke late Friday night, so will spend the 1st night by the airport. Sat morning we will go food shopping at Albertsons for the week. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated. Did you and your husband go out to eat at any of the restaurants? Thanks again for your replay.

KAy

chicago, il
Level Contributor
196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solitude

Hi Kay:

We ate at Creekside the first night. It didn't really blow us away, but we had the kids with us...being 12, they don't necessarily want the kids menu, but the regular choices at Creekside were not really up their alley either. DH and I did not go to St.Bernards, although I would imagine it was good.

As a family, we liked the Silverfork Lodge...which is just down the mountain-less than a mile. They had good, basic food and (although we drove ourselves) they will come pick you up and take you back to Solitude if you call them. One other thing...the pizza in the Stonehaus is really thick and filling! One large pizza wsa plenty for the 5 of us (and with 3 boys, we usually eat much more!)

Hope you have a great time, I am jealous and wish I was there right now!

-kelly

Get answers to your questions about Solitude